List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RALLI MEMORIAL HALL, WALLS AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1298671

Location

RALLI MEMORIAL HALL, STATION APPROACH
RALLI MEMORIAL HALL, WALLS AND RAILINGS, DENMARK VILLAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365517

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ2805SE 579-1/14/39

HOVE DENMARK VILLAS (West side) Ralli Memorial Hall, walls and railings

GV II

Community centre. Dated 1913. Architects Read and Macdonald of London for Mrs Stephen Ralli, builders Chapman, Lowry and Puttock. Wrenaissance style. Red brick laid in English bond, hipped clay tile roof with upswept eaves and strongly moulded wooden dentil cornice, brick stacks. L-plan fronting Denmark Villas with long return of the assembly hall onto Station Approach. 2 storeys over basement 1:3:1 bays, end bays project forward with pilaster quoins and drops in place of capitals under hipped roofs with shallow pediments to oriels bays carried on shaped brackets, all mullion and transom windows with leaded lights, central oriel gives access to balcony over hexagonal porch, flanked by mullion and transom casements and garlands enclosing the date AD 1913; ground floor with segmental headed casements below oriels, Ionic porch projecting for 3 bays and recessed for 3 bays with 3 pairs of 12-light double doors with shaped heads, approached by a shallow flight of 3 steps. There is an ornamental cartouche in the centre of the solid parapet to balcony. Ornamental hoppers to square section down pipes. North return of 2:1:6:2 bays, dentil moulded cornice returned around head of bulls-eye window over entrance in third bay left, 6-light mullion and transom windows to buttressed hall, plaque in central bay inscribed "This stone was laid by Stephen Andrew Ralli grandson of Stephen Ralli in memory of whom this all was erected by his wife 14 April 1913". Brick piers with moulded plinths and coping carrying ball finials to inner bays returned south and north to entrance on Station Road Approach, continued along the north elevation; wrought-iron railings set in dwarf wall. A fine composition.

Listing NGR: TQ2896805488

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 28968 05488

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:53:30.