List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOVE PUBLIC LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1298670

Location

HOVE PUBLIC LIBRARY, 182, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365513

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOVE

TQ2804NW CHURCH ROAD 579-1/16/35 (South side) No.182 Hove Public Library

GV II

Public Library. 1907, cupola removed 1967. Architects Percy Robinson and W.Alban Jones of Leeds. Wrenaissance style. Ashlar Doultine stone, roof covering concealed behind balustraded parapet. Plan: flat facade to octagonal hall opening south onto radiating bays, west through 3-bay arcade to reading room and east through similar arcade to staircase giving access to rotunda. Two storeys, 3-bay main block with lower one bay wing left (east). The facade is embellished with some fine carving in low relief. Central open pediment with round-arched opening carried on Ionic columns, carving in pediment, recessed, tall round-headed window with fixed lights fronted by wrought-iron balcony; 3 circular windows on either side divided by carved fascias, linked above and below by ribbons and garlands, ground floor 3 square-headed windows flanking entrance under egg-and-dart moulded entablature with cherubs' heads as capitals. Carved panel over entrance inscribed Public Library, flanked by reading cherubs, Ionic columns, recessed entrance with half-glazed double doors. To the left the service entrance: 2 small windows first floor, semicircular panel over entrance carved with cherubs, double doors. Interior: full of spatial interest, also plasterwork detailing and moulded compartment ceilings with ornamented shallow dome to rotunda. The original painted texts advocating economy and the acquisition of knowledge have been removed. There was also an open air reading garden on the roof of the library when it first opened. The erection of this library was made possible by a donation from Andrew Carnegie in 1903. Of the many public libraries erected in the years prior to the First World War, this has one of the most attractive facades. (Middleton J: A History of Hove: 1979-).

Listing NGR: TQ2847804787

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Middleton, J, A History of Hove, (1979)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28478 04787

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2014 at 12:09:18.