List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1298645

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, NEW CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
The City of Brighton and HoveUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365598

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOVE

TQ20NE NEW CHURCH ROAD, Aldrington 579-1/3/151 (North side) 24/03/50 Church of St Leonard

II

Parish church. 1878 nave (now south aisle) and tower on site of former medieval church, 1936 nave, chancel and spire. Architect of C19 work Richard Herbert Carpenter, C20 work by H.Milburn Pett. Dressed knapped flint, squared and coursed, stone dressings and quoins, north wall of brick, clay tile roof, coped verges, broached spire with wooden shingles. Plan: 6-bay nave with south aisle, south-west tower, chancel, north-east brick addition, south-east vestry and south porch (no longer used), entrance now via west end of nave. Low, setback buttresses to 2-stage tower, 2-light louvred bell-openings, 3 lancet windows either side of timber-framed south porch with ornate bargeboards. Date stone in plinth of chancel inscribed "This stone was laid with full masonic --- by the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master of Freemasons of Sussex, Major R.Lawrence Thornton CBE on the day of the 6 June 1936". Interior: rendered. Chancel: arch braced scissor truss roof, nave and south aisle with boarded and ceiled barrel vault roofs. Arcade of chamfered piers, pointed arches chamfered in 2 orders. Stained glass: East window dated 1948. Chancel with fine display of Minton floor tiles; sedilia and piscina. Replica medieval font. The C13 parish church was described as ruinous in 1638 and between the mid C18 and early C19 the parish of Aldrington was deserted. If anything of the medieval church remained in the 1870s, it did not survive the rebuilding. The North aisle planned in 1936 was not built. (Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-).

Listing NGR: TQ2659005250

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dale, A , Brighton Churches, (1989)

National Grid Reference: TQ 26590 05250

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 04:20:36.