List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE SHRIEVE'S HOUSE

List entry Number: 1298586

Location

THE SHRIEVE'S HOUSE, 40, SHEEP STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366405

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW SHEEP STREET 604-1/10/222 (North side) 25/10/51 No.40 The Shrieve's House (Formerly Listed as: SHEEP STREET (North side) No.40)

GV II*

Yeoman's house, with rear outbuildings now shop. Front range probably rebuilt on old plan after 1614 fire, outbuildings rebuilt after 1595 fire; restored 1908, 1947 by F Yorke and 1979 by SA Wright. Timber-frame with plaster infill on coursed rubble plinth; tile roof with brick rear stack. 2 storeys with attic; 3 irregular bays; 1st floor jettied on carved brackets.Entrance to left end is a later feature, triangular head with leaded lights above and studded door with strap hinges and enriched iron handle; 1st floor raised over large carriage entrance to right end which has paired battened plank doors. Ground floor has 1:3:1-light canted oriel, originally bay window; similar oriel above has hipped roof, 3-light window to right and inserted 1908 two-light window to left; attic has 1947 large and small gabled dormers with windows of 4 and 3 lights. Close-studded framing. Rear has short gabled wing with stack to left of ridge and entrance with battened door. Lower 2-storey outbuilding range has brick and plaster infill; mostly 3-light windows, some with wooden diamond mullions originally unglazed, and varied entrances. Square framing. INTERIOR: well preserved with C17 staircase with splat balusters and square newels with finials; stud partitions and ex-situ panelling and doors brought from another house c1947. HISTORICAL NOTE: the house belonged to the Guild of Holy Cross, later to the Corporation; it became known in the C20 as the Shrieve's House from its 1st recorded tenent, William Sheryve, 1542; also inhabited by William Rogers, a Sergeant at the Mace, for whom the house was rebuilt and enlarged after the fire of 1595, and John Woolmer, the 1st Mayor of Stratford, 1664. A good example of a late C16 or early C17 yeoman's house retaining its range of outbuildings. (Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 51; Stratford-upon-Avon Papers: Ree P: The Shrieve's House, Stratford-upon-Avon: Stratford-upon-Avon: 1987-).

Listing NGR: SP2023354876

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 51
Ree, P, 'Stratford upon Avon Papers' in The Shrieves House, (1987), 1987

National Grid Reference: SP 20233 54876

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 07:24:34.