List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1298545

Location

TOWN HALL, CHAPEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366184

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW CHAPEL STREET 604-1/10/40 (South East side) 25/10/51 Town Hall

GV II*

Town hall. 1767 with infill to arches of 1863 and later additions. By Robert Newman of Whittington, builder and mason. Cotswold stone; hipped slate roof. Palladian style. 2 storeys; symmetrical 5-bay range. 3-bay centre breaks forward under pediment. Platt band over ground floor; 1st floor sill band and top modillioned cornice. Ground floor has blocked round arches with segmental-headed windows with 24-pane horned sashes; 1st floor has windows with friezes and cornices over 24-pane horned sashes, that to centre has eared and shouldered architrave, pulvinated frieze and segmental-headed pediment. Below sill band is remains of painted words: GOD SAVE THE KING. Top pediment has relief of borough arms with husk drops and date: 1767. Sheep Street elevation of 3 bays has similar details; ground-floor windows with 8/12-pane sashes; 1st-floor niche has consoled open pediment over lead statue of Shakespeare, 1769, by John Cheere, a copy of the 1740 statue by Scheemakers on the Westminster Abbey memorial, the panel below recording details; panel below sill band records the Silver Jubilee of 1977. Rear wing has porch with round-arched opening and sashed window in round-headed recess to left; balustraded balcony above and recessed arched porch. INTERIOR: ground-floor room with rich C19 coffered ceiling, panelled pilasters to end flanking inscribed panels inscribed with names of bailiffs etc; rear room, former kitchen, has high ceiling and high 4- and 2-light ovolo-mullioned windows, large fireplace with moulded arch with herringbone brickwork; staircase probably rebuilt in C20; 1st-floor Tuscan ballroom with cornice and stucco panelling with Rococo relief work and candle sconces renewed after fire in 1946, two C19 fireplaces. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was opened by David Garrick in 1769 on the occasion of the Shakespeare Jubilee, when he presented the statue of Shakespeare. From 1843 it was used for Corporation meetings and is now used by Stratford Town Council. A dignified building in an important position. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: London: 1966-: 415; Pevsner N: The Cathedrals of England: Southern England: Harmondsworth: 1985-: 191).

Listing NGR: SP2012754838

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 415
Pevsner, N, Metcalfe, P, The Cathedrals of England: Southern England, (1985), 191

National Grid Reference: SP 20127 54838

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 09:22:31.