List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SHAKESPEARE MONUMENT ON EAST SIDE OF THE GREAT GARDEN OF NEW PLACE

List entry Number: 1298541

Location

SHAKESPEARE MONUMENT ON EAST SIDE OF THE GREAT GARDEN OF NEW PLACE, CHAPEL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366171

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW CHAPEL LANE 604-1/10/27 (North side) 09/02/72 Shakespeare Monument on east side of The Great Garden of New Place (Formerly Listed as: CHAPEL STREET (South East side) Shakespeare Monument, New Place Garden)

GV II*

Monument. 1789 with plinth of 1871. By Thomas Banks; for Alderman Boydell. Ashlar. Large plain plinth with inscription recording history of monument and supporting smaller plinth with inscribed panel with quotation from Hamlet Act I scene ii; statue of Shakespeare in contemporary clothes, seated on rock outcrop between the Dramatic Muse to left, in flowing robes and with lyre, holding up a wreath, and the Genius of Painting to right, draped and with brushes and palette; bracketed pedimental-gabled canopy over. The monument was formerly on the facade of the Shakespeare Gallery, Pall Mall, London, and was moved to its present site in 1871 by Charles Holt Bracebridge of Atherstone Hall. The Great Garden of New Place was bought by Shakespeare when he was living at New Place, his last home where he died in 1616, and which was demolished in 1701. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: London: 1966-: 418).

Listing NGR: SP2020554772

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 418
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 42 Warwickshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 20205 54772

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 01:29:47.