List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL

List entry Number: 1298472

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND SAINT PAUL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityBelton and Manthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Sep-1966

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382924

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BELTON & MANTHORPE SK9239 MAIN STREET, Belton 1315-0/8/51 (South East side) 20/09/66 Church of St Peter and St Paul GV I

Parish church, closely associated with the Brownlow family of Belton House since 1638. Mainly c1200 and c1400; chancel 1721, altered early C19; south porch 1775; memorial chapel 1818; vestry and restoration late C19. Memorial chapel, west door, nave parapets and some interior features by Jeffry Wyatville, c1815-1820. Chancel and vestry, nave with clerestorey, north aisle, memorial chapel, south porch, west tower. Ashlar and coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and steep pitched plain tile roofs. Chancel, single bay, has plinth and coped east gable. 3-light Perpendicular east window, blank sides. North aisle has a 2-light pointed arched east window and corner buttress. Flat roofed vestry has a diagonal buttress and a 2-light flat headed east window, and to north, a door and a 3-light window with 4-centred arch and hood mould. Nave, 3 bays, has 2-light Perpendicular clerestorey windows with sill band and linked hood moulds, string course, crenellated parapet, and coped east gable with cross. South side has a diagonal buttress to east, and a Tudor arched 3-light Perpendicular window with hood mould. North aisle has a 2-light Perpendicular window with 4-centred arch and hood mould. West end has a similar window, now boarded. Memorial chapel, single bay, has plinth, crenellated parapet and gable. North gable has a stylised cross, c1921, and angle buttresses topped with tall crocketed pinnacles. West side has to north an ogee headed niche, and to south, a 3-light Perpendicular window with hood mould. South porch has plinth and moulded parapet, crocketed gable with finial, and diagonal buttresses topped with finials. 4-centred arched moulded doorway with hood mould. West tower, 3 stages, unbuttressed, has quoins, plinth and string courses. Lower stages C13, with pointed arched west door in a projecting flat topped surround, c1816, by Wyatville. Above it, a cusped single lancet. Middle stage has a single lancet to south. Both these have hood moulds. Upper stage, dated 1638, has crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles topped with wind vanes incorporating the Brownlow crest. On each side, a 2-light pointed arched bell opening with hood mould. Interior, rendered, has C14 chancel arch with round responds. Chancel has a traceried king post roof with arched tie beams on brackets, dated 1811. East window has an ogee crest by Wyatville, c1816, and is flanked by C19 commandment boards with elaborate crocketed gables. Stained glass 1847, by T Willement. North side has a moulded 4-centred arched doorway with chamfered responds. Nave has a Perpendicular ceiling with moulded beams, bosses and brackets, by Wyatville. Heavily restored north arcade, c1200, has a central pier with incised lozenge decoration and scallop capital. Rebated arches, the east one with lozenge ornament, and half-round responds. Moulded pointed tower arch with round responds. South window has heraldic stained glass, 1823, possibly by Willement. North aisle has Perpendicular style roofs at the east and west ends, and panelled plaster ceiling by Wyatville to the remainder, under restoration at time of survey. Memorial chapel has Perpendicular style fan vaulting gabled niches in the corners, and an elaborate Decorated style cusped tomb recess and crest under the west window. South porch has a stone roof with ribs, and a moulded 4-centred arched doorway with hood mould. Traceried door, C15. Above it, Royal arms, early C19, under a label mould. Tower chamber has a stained glass west window, 1852. Fittings include an octagonal stone font in Norman style, probably reworked C19. Altered C17 octagonal oak pulpit with sounding board. Altered early C18 altar rail with twist balusters. Benches with fleurs-de-lys, 1891. Memorials: an outstanding collection of sculptural and architectural monuments to the Brownlow and Cust families of Belton House. These include demi-figures, mid C17, by Joshua Marshall to Richard Brownlow, and 1679, by William Stanton to Sir John and Lady Alicia Brownlow: monuments with sculpted figures, 1754 by Sir Henry Cheere to Viscount Tyrconnel; 1770, by W Tyler to Sir John Cust; 1807, by Westmacott, to Sir Brownlow Cust; c1818 by A Canova to Sophia, Lady Brownlow. Other important works by Edward Stanton and Christopher Horsnaile, John Bacon, W Theed, C Marochetti, Feodora Gleichen, G G Scott and Nina Cust. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N: Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 133-135; Guide to the Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul: Belton: 1990-; Gunnis R: Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851: London: 1951-: 367-368).

Listing NGR: SK9298339533

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Guide to the Parish Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul Belton - Date: 1990
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Gunnis, R - Title: Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851 - Date: 1953 - Page References: 367-368
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Harris, J and Antram, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire - Date: 1989 - Page References: 133-135

National Grid Reference: SK 92983 39533

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2014 at 01:28:17.