List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY AND ST CHAD

List entry Number: 1298431

Location

CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY AND ST CHAD, THE CLOSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireLichfieldDistrict AuthorityLichfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jun-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 382780

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LICHFIELD

SK1109NE THE CLOSE 1094-1/5/212 Cathedral Church of the Blessed 05/02/52 Virgin Mary and St Chad (Formerly Listed as: THE CLOSE Cathedral Church of St Chad and St Mary)

GV I

Cathedral church. Early C13 west choir arcade and aisles, chapter house and chapel, transepts and crossing tower; c1280 nave, aisles and west towers; 1300-50 Lady Chapel and east choir arcade and aisles, and choir clerestory. Major restorations of 1660s, 1788-95 continued by Joseph Potter Snr of Lichfield, 1850s by S Smirke, and 1856-78 by Sir Gilbert Scott, continued by John Oldrid Scott until 1905. Ashlar with graduated slate roofs. PLAN: cruciform: 3-bay Lady Chapel, 8-bay choir with aisles, chapter house to north with library above and consistory court to south with chapel of St Chad's Head above, crossing steeple and 3-bay transepts with east chapels, 8-bay nave with aisles and 2 west steeples. EXTERIOR: Lady Chapel has 3-bay apse articulated by plinth, stepped to end due to slope of ground, gabled buttresses with C19 statues, enriched cornice with traceried and embattled parapet with pinnacles; 3-light windows, 6-light central windows to north and south, with trefoil tracery; 3 much restored tomb recesses to south with cusped arches, gables and pinnacles. Choir has similar clerestory, gabled buttresses supporting flying buttresses and pinnacles, angle buttresses with C19 statues; 3-light aisle windows with Decorated tracery and 5-light clerestory windows with Perpendicular tracery, those to east bay with Decorated tracery; organ loft to north west has quatrefoil windows in rich square settings and north east octagonal stair turret with pinnacle. Chapter house of elongated octagon form, buttresses with top tabernacles with statues, Y-tracery windows, vestibule with Y-tracery north window and 2-light plate tracery windows to 1st floor. Court and chapel have large octagonal turrets with shafts and pinnacles and 2 statues in niches; 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, 1st floor triplets of lancets. Crossing tower has polygonal buttresses with crocketed pinnacles, lines of former steep gables, two 2-light bell openings in blind tracery settings, traceried parapet and spire with 5 tiers of lucarnes. Transepts have 3- and 5-light clerestory windows with Perpendicular tracery; north transept has polygonal buttresses flanking portal of 5 orders with rich decoration to arch with flanking niches, 1880s window of 7 lancets, Y-tracery windows above; 4-light chapel north window and west windows; south transept has large C18 gabled angle buttresses flanking portal similar to above, but much restored, trefoil-headed arcade with C19 figures, 9-light window with Perpendicular tracery and top Catherine wheel windows with flanking statues; chapel has 3-light windows and south tomb recess with cusped arch, gable and pinnacles; 2 pairs of lancets to west; statue of Charles II for west front gable, attributed to Sir W Wilson, attached to south west angle. Nave has gabled buttresses supporting flying buttresses and pinnacles, enriched cornices and parapets with pinnacles; 3-light aisle windows with Decorated tracery and spherical triangle windows to clerestories; south side restored by Smirke. West front has gable between towers with large polygonal outer turrets; central portal with multi-cusped arch and inner doors with C13 seated Christ over trumeau, original doors with rich scrolled iron work, statues to returns; flanking portals of 5 orders with restored arches and similar doors; 6-light west window with Decorated tracery of 1868; towers have 2-light louvred bell openings, lozenge parapet and square crocketed pinnacles, spires with 4 tiers of lucarnes. Facade articulated with blind tracery and crocketed trefoil arches, corbelled C19 statues, with some medieval statues to north tower, trefoil-headed arcade with seated figures and figure of Christ to gable; much ball flower and crocketing, treatment continued to returns. Wind vanes and C18 rainwater heads. INTERIOR: Lady Chapel has tiercon vault with ridge rib and bosses, wall shafts with 1895 canopied statues by C E Kempe; applied arcade of nodding ogee arches with buttresses and pinnacles, wall passage has traceried and brattished parapet. Choir has similar clerestory with quatrefoils to reveals; west arcades with stiff-leaf capitals and 1860 canopied statues by J B Philip, east arcades with Decorated foliage capitals and applied cinquefoils; aisles with applied arcading, to west of 4 trefoil-headed arches per bay, to east of 6 cusped arches per bay. Entrance to vestibule has triplet over, 3-bay quadripartite vault, applied trefoil-headed arcade to east, similar arcade to west forming vaulted passage, probably pedilavium for Maundy Thursday, a rare feature; rich entrance to chapter house with C13 seated Christ over trumeau; chapter house has vault with central pier and good figure corbels, trefoil-headed arcade to wall bench; library has similar features, pavement has medieval encaustic tiles. Chapel of St Chad's Head has gallery with traceried parapet on ribbed coving, C19 vault with large bosses. Crossing has star vault. Transepts have tiercon vaults and 2-bay arcades to chapels, which have quadripartite vaults, former external windows to north and south of choir. Nave has arcades with good Decorated foliage capitals and applied cinquefoils, two 2-light traceried openings to triforium, blind to towers, tiercon vault has C18 lath-and-plaster cells, west window has 1980s timber balcony on ribbed coving. Fittings include: Lady Chapel: 1895 triptych altarpiece with high relief scenes from Oberammergau, contemporary alabaster altar rail. Chancel has complete ensemble of 1860s fittings, a good example of High Victorian Gothic design: alabaster and coloured marble reredos and screen by Scott and Philip, statues to gabled niches, crocketed central arch and pinnacle with cross; sedilia have ex-situ C15 canopies; Minton tiles and incised medallions to pavement; timber stalls with traceried and wrought-iron fronts, wrought-iron side grilles; wrought-iron and brass choir screen by Scott and Skidmore has some painting, gabled central arch and angels, one of the best remaining examples; similar aisle gates and pulpit to nave north east. Consistory court has three 1670s stalls, Baroque back panels, openwork front panels, twisted columns to openwork canopies with Gothic touches. Ex-situ font to north transept by Slater has early French Gothic detail and high relief scenes and figures; south transept has 1870s screen to St Michael's chapel with Zulu shields and assegais. Wall paintings: C14 Crucifixion to piscina to south choir aisle; damaged c1400 Trinity to recess in south choir aisle; C14 Assumption over entrance in chapter house. Monuments: a few pre C18 monuments and many good C18 and C19 monuments and wall tablets including: Bishop Selwyn, d.1878, to Lady Chapel tomb recess, effigy by Nicholls, decoration by Clayton and Bell, tiles by de Morgan; 2 medieval effigies of bishops to south choir aisle, also Bishop Hacket, d.1670, high sarcophagus with painted effigy; mutilated tomb in recess to ?John Stanley, d.1515; Robinson Children, 1817, by F Chantrey, 2 girls sleeping on couch; of later C19 tombs, those to Bishop Lonsdale, d.1867, and Dean Howard, d.1868, have re-used C15 canopies, and Major Hodson, d.1858, boldly carved chest tomb with high relief scenes; Bishop Ryder to north choir aisle, 1840 by Chantrey, free standing kneeling figure; vestibule has bronze bust by Epstein to Bishop Woods, d.1953; Dean Haywood, d.1492, mutilated base to 2-tier tomb with cadaver, good C19 wall tablets; Andrew Newton, d.1808, to south transept, by Westmacott, also busts of Johnson and Garrick, 1793; 80th Regiment of Foot, 1846, Egyptian pylon by P Hollins; nave has good floor brass to 1st Earl of Lichfield, and wall tablet to members of the Walmesley family, d.1751, 1785, 1786, by W Thompson, good work with coloured marbles, cartouches and putti. Stained glass: Lady Chapel has c1540 glass from Herckenrode Abbey, installed 1806, other Herckenrode glass in choir aisles; west windows have C16 Flemish glass installed 1895; C18 and C19 heraldic glass to library; 1819 glass by Betton and Evans to south transept east clerestory; good later glass incuding much by CE Kempe, eg chapter house, chapel of St Chad's Head and south transept south and east windows; other C19 glass includes: 1893 grisaille glass to north transept north window and 1869 nave west window by Clayton and Bell. One of England's smaller cathedrals, much damaged during the Civil War, but retaining much of interest, and very good C19 work. (Pevsner N: The Cathedrals of England (Midlands Eastern and Northern): London: 1985-: P.181-196; Cobb G: English Cathedrals: The Forgotten Centuries: London: 1980-: P.140-59; Bird LJ: Sir GG Scott's Restorations of Lichfield Cathedral: 1979-).

Listing NGR: SK1154809762

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Cobb, G - Title: English Cathedrals: The Forgotten Centuries - Date: 1980 - Page References: 140-59
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Bird, LJ - Title: Sir GG Scott's Restorations of Lichfield Cathedral - Date: 1979
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Stafford - Date: 1990 - Page References: 181-196
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Stafford - Date: 1990

National Grid Reference: SK 11563 09742

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 12:58:34.