List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FARRINGDON LONDON REGIONAL TRANSPORT UNDERGROUND STATION

List entry Number: 1298047

Location

36-38, COWCROSS STREET
40-42, COWCROSS STREET
FARRINGDON LONDON REGIONAL TRANSPORT UNDERGROUND STATION, COWCROSS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityIslingtonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-May-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 368844

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ISLINGTON

TQ3181NE COWCROSS STREET 635-1/77/349 (North side) 17/05/94 Farringdon LRT Underground Station

II

Includes: Nos.36-38 AND 40-42 COWCROSS STREET. The former Farringdon and High Holborn Station of the Metropolitan Railway, now a station shared by London Underground and British Rail under LRT management.The front building, to Cowcross Street, of 1922 by Charles Walter Clark; the train shed of 1865. Brick faced with white faience, some granite dressings and white and yellow exposed brick; glazed roof to front building so far as visible, the train shed is a glazed cast-iron construction supported on iron piers and with stock brick flank walls of the same date. The front building is all-but symmetrical to Cowcross Street with centrepiece of three bays containing the entrance; and three bays to either side with single-storey shop wings projecting forwards, each housing three shops and slightly overlapping the centrepiece. Central entrance with one broad flat-arched opening under a segmental moulding and two narrower segmental-arched openings to either side; London Transport metal and glazed awning now projecting from the fascia; shops have curved corners and are divided from each other by panelled pilasters supporting an entablature and blocking course. The shop fronts obscured by late C20 signage. Upper windows flat-arched with moulded architraves and panels between; quoins to centrepiece and outer corners; fascia with faience lettering; mutule cornice and stepped blocking course. In the return to Turnmill Street, flat-arched entrance with granite architrave including triple keystone; small flat-arched windows with keystones to ground floor, fascia panel for former Parcels Office, and six narrower flat-arched windows interspersed with panels to the first floor. Beyond that, three bays with round-arched windows under keystone remain from the 1865 station. Three platforms roofed by two shallow segmental-arched trussed and glazed roofs. Outer walls of yellow brick set in English bond and articulated by pilasters with two blank arches between: eleven such bays to the west side, ten to the east; various round-arched and segmental openings.The roofs are carried in the middle by paired metal columns with geometrical detailing at the capitals and decorative metal brackets. The front building is carried over the tracks by two segmental-arched bridges detailed in black brick. Farringdon Station was built as the terminus of the world's first underground railway, the Metropolitan Railway, which ran from here to Paddington. (Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).

Listing NGR: TQ3157581832

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31584 81844

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 01:44:44.