List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

List entry Number: 1297652

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, ST THOMAS ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LancashireFyldeDistrict AuthoritySaint Anne's on the Sea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Feb-1993

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 385306

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LYTHAM ST ANNES

SD32NW ST THOMAS ROAD, St Annes 621-1/2/118 (North East side) Church of St Thomas

GV II

Church. 1899-1905, by Austin and Paley. Blood red Accrington brick in English garden wall bond (3+1), with sandstone dressings and red tile roofs. Perpendicular style. Nave with north and south aisles, full-height chancel with north transept, and detached north-west tower linked to the aisle by a short passage. The 6-bay nave has large 4-light traceried clerestory windows with transoms to the centre lights, and at the west end a full-height projected bay with canted corners, a large segmental-pointed 6-light west window with a transom and tracery, tall panels of blind tracery in the canted corners, and a stone parapet ramped up in the centre over a blind oculus with mouchette tracery; and in the gable above, a small niche and an apex cross. The south aisle has 4 pairs of square-headed windows with tracery, a canted porch to the 6th bay, and attached to the 1st bay a gabled baptistery which is banded and has a niche with a statue and a checker-board patterned parapet. The chancel has an aisle like that of the nave, above this 3 square-headed 2-light windows with cinquefoil lights, a brick parapet, and a large 5-light traceried east window with brattished transom. The tall square tower has diagonal buttresses with offsets, an extruded stair-turret on the east side, stone bands, an arched west doorway, and a set-back belfry stage clasped by the buttresses, with blind-arcading, louvred 3-light windows, and a parapet with coupled crocketed corner pinnacles. INTERIOR: vaulted passage between tower and aisle; 6-bay aisle arcades of octagonal columns with moulded caps and 2-centred double-chamfered arches; large chancel arch in matching style; brick walls; king-post roof trusses with 2 collars, the lower with arch-bracing.

Listing NGR: SD3253828381

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 32538 28381

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 04:06:46.