List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ABBEY CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY

List entry Number: 1297494

Location

ABBEY CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST THOMAS OF CANTERBURY, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorfolkSouth NorfolkDistrict AuthorityWymondham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Sep-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386100

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WYMONDHAM

TF1001 CHURCH STREET 655-1/10/39 (South West side) 29/12/50 Abbey Church of St Mary and St Thomas of Canterbury (Formerly Listed as: CHURCH STREET (North side) Church of St Mary and St Thomas of Canterbury)

GV I

Benedictine Abbey Church. Founded 1107 by William de Albini as a Priory, and C14-C16. Flint with limestone dressings. Lead roofs. Nave, nave aisles and an east and west tower remain of former full, apsidal, Benedictine plan. East tower is former crossing tower. 5 stage west tower commenced 1447, completed 1498. Polygonal corner buttresses. Arched west door flanked by niches. 5-light west window with renewed Perpendicular tracery and a blocked central light. 2-light ringing chamber windows and paired belfry windows. 7-bay south aisle rebuilt 1544-60: stepped buttresses between Y-tracery windows, diagonal buttresses to east and west. 9 clerestory windows of 3 and 2-lights with lozenge or Flowing tracery of C19 interpretation, each separated by thin buttress strips. West bay with a screen marking location of conventual buildings formerly abutting to south. At east end of aisle 2 bays of Norman gallery are evident. North aisle enlarged 1432-45 in 8 window bays plus porch at west end. Windows are 3-light Perpendicular under segmental arches. 2-storey porch with diagonal buttresses entered through a moulded arched entrance under a frieze of shields. Paired parvise window to north. Crenellated parapet over punched quatrefoil frieze. Stair tower to south-west. Clerestorey with flushwork and 9 3-light Perpendicular windows. Buttresses between them have niches. At east end are various fragments of evidence testifying to existence of former crossing tower and other Benedictine planning features, here not discussed. 4-stage crossing tower 1390 -1409. Very tall east arch, small doorways north and south. One 3-light Perpendicular window north and south at second stage. Upper 2 stages octagonal, with diagonal buttresses, each alternate facet of both lit through 2-light windows. INTERIOR. 9-bay nave arcade, only the first bay retaining the engaged columns and cushion capitals to the drum piers. Zig-zag and dog-tooth decoration in round arches, those to south with cable and meander. Triforium with 2 pairs of engaged columns and double-rolled round arches to each bay. Clerestory with moulded rere-arches. Late C15 hammerbeam roof. Hammerbeams carry winged angels bearing shields and musical instruments and drop on arched braces to wall posts with corbels. Heavy crenellated ashlaring. Arched hammer posts with pierced tracery rise to moulded principals. One tier moulded butt purlins and ridge piece, with star bosses at junctions. Similar hammer beam roof to north aisle. Reredos by Sir Ninian Comper 1935. Late C14 octagonal font with 4 wild men and 4 lions against stem. Bowl with symbols of 4 Evangelists alternating with 4 angels. Tall canopy is 1962. Ferrers monument (which does not commemorate Abbot Ferrers (1532-48)) c1525. Terracotta, in 2 stages. Lower stage with 3 deep niches, upper with 3 projecting bows, all surfaces carved with Renaissance decoration.

Listing NGR: TG1068601497

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TG 10686 01497

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 08:08:54.