List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PETTERIL BANK

List entry Number: 1297373

Location

PETTERIL BANK, PETTERIL BANK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaCarlisleDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386825

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARLISLE

NY45SW PETTERIL BANK ROAD 671-1/16/229 (South side) Petteril Bank

II*

House now offices and showroom. 1829, for John Fawcett, attorney, with late C19 extensions. Calciferous sandstone ashlar on chamfered plinth, with string course, cornice and solid parapet. Graduated greenslate roofs with one gabled dormer; ashlar ridge and gable chimney stacks. Overall rough L-shape elongated by extension. Original house is 2 storeys; entrance facade 2 bays and garden front 4 bays; 3-storey, 4-bay extension adjoins at left rear. Entrance facade has off-centre Gothic ribbed panelled doors in pointed chamfered surround with pointed side lights under heraldic shields; 5-light overlight of coloured heraldic glass under hoodmould. Casement windows divided into 2-lights by glazing bars, in chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds. Garden front has off-centre full height canted bay window, flanked by gabled parapets; casement windows with glazing bars under hoodmoulds; small blind lancets in gables. Right bay has narrow French window and casement above under hoodmould. Rear has similar windows to garden front and gabled parapet. Extension has 2- and 3-light stone mullioned windows and a prominent bay window on the entrance facade. INTERIOR: complete and Gothic except for Jacobean carved wooden fireplaces in hall and front room. Stone stair arches and panelled dado in hall and stairs; wooden staircase has fretted rails and moulded wooden handrail; hexagonal newels with shaped caps. Heraldic 2-light stained-glass stair window, incorporating the city and Fawcett arms. Ribbed panelled doors with elaborate brass knobs and fingers plates in wooden architraves. Drawing room has columned window arch and corresponding blind arch on wall opposite; Gothic ribbed panelled shutters in 2 parts. White marble ribbed and columned fireplace. Rib and petal moulded plaster ceiling in radial design around central roundel. HISTORY: Carlisle Journal (1829) records the theft of tools from a workman "now working on the new building erecting by John Fawcett at Petteril Bank". This date is confirmed by the local directories which show that John Fawcett was living in The Crescent, Carlisle in 1829, but in 1834 was of Petteril Bank. At this period Rickman was working on a number of projects around the city; Holy Trinity Church and Christ Church 1828; Devonshire Street Reading Rooms 1830; Brunstock House and Scaleby Castle c1830 and Rose Castle 1829-1834 and it is possible he could have been the architect. For details on John Fawcett see his obituary in Carlisle Patriot (1883) and C Roy Hudlestone and RS Boumphrey, (1978). From 1909 the owner was Lady Gillford, daughter of the 12th Earl Home (aunt of Alec Douglas Home), hence the name Gillford Park nearby. For further details and illustrations see Parish Observer April (1982). After her death in 1951 the house was acquired by County Council. (Carlisle Journal: 14 November 1829; Carlisle Patriot: 27 July 1883: P.4; Hudlestone, C Roy: Cumberland Families and Heraldry: 1978-: P.108; Parish Observer (Parish of St John, Upperby), April 1982).

Listing NGR: NY4160153628

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hudleston, , Boumphrey, , Cumberland Families and Heraldry, (1978)
'Carlisle Journal' in 14 November, (1829)
'Carlisle Patriot' in 27 July, (1883)

National Grid Reference: NY 41601 53628

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 02:49:42.