List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ELIM PENTECOSTAL CHURCH ADJOINING SUNDAY SCHOOL AND BOUNDARY WALL

List entry Number: 1297025

Location

ELIM PENTECOSTAL CHURCH ADJOINING SUNDAY SCHOOL AND BOUNDARY WALL, PRINCE'S AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of Kingston upon HullUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 21-Jan-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 387741

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGSTON UPON HULL

TA02NE PRINCE'S AVENUE 680-1/8/304 (North East side) Elim Pentecostal Church, adjoining Sunday School and boundary wall

GV II

Pentecostal church and adjoining Sunday school and boundary wall. 1897-99. By WH Bingley. Brick with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped slate roofs with single ridge and single gable stacks. Plinth and coped west gables. Nave with clerestorey, aisles, transepts, north-west and south-west porches, north-west bell tower. Nave east gable has a cross transomed round window and below, a single-storey L-plan building adjoining. West end has string course and stepped sill band. Transomed central lancet flanked by double transomed double lancets with elliptical-arched heads. Above, a round window with cross-shaped tracery. Below, two 4-centred arched doorways with double board doors. All these openings have hoodmoulds. To right, a slim gabled buttress topped with a crocketed pinnacle. Clerestorey has on either side 2 windows with lattice tracery and 2 triple lancets all set in recesses with stepped heads. Aisles have 4 cusped triple lancets in flat-headed openings. North transept has transomed triple lancet to north and transomed double lancet to west. Canted 2-storey south-west porch has to west a pointed-arched doorway with hoodmould and above it, a square window with lozenge tracery. To its right, a single lancet. Similar, lower north-west porch has 3 single lancets. Octagonal south-west tower, 3 stages, has blind square base with broaches. Second stage has short gabled buttresses and a single small window on 4 sides. Bell stage has brick and stone bands and 8 small lancet openings with crocketed gables. Squat octagonal spire has crenellated base and finial. Sunday school, to left, single-storey, cross plan, has hipped and gabled roof topped with an open bell turret with square dome and finial. Coped west gable has central gabled buttress flanked by single stone mullioned cross casements and above, a quatrefoil in a circle. Left return has a single window. North wing has canted end with buttresses and 3 stone mullioned cross casements. Left return has a single casement and a wooden cross casement. Higher east gable has 2 segment-headed wooden cross casements. Outside, brick boundary wall and wrought-iron railing, with ashlar coping to wall and pedestals and 2 pairs of gatepiers with billeted caps. 2 pairs of wrought-iron gates. INTERIOR: nave has arch-braced roof with ceiling and tie beams, wall shafts and struts with traceried panels. Perpendicular style arcades, 6 bays, with brick arches, stone intrados and springing, and round granite columns with octagonal stone bases. Moulded sill band to clerestorey windows. East end has a traceried round window, and a double lancet to north and south. Full-width 2-tower organ case. West end has a panelled wooden gallery with canted corners. Above it, 4 windows with stained glass. Below the gallery, a pair of half-glazed doors on either side. Aisles have lean-to roofs and at their east ends, brick half-arches. 4 triple lancets with depressed segmental brick heads, 2 to south-east with stained glass, 1873 and 1917. North transept has to east and west a double lancet, the west one transomed, the east one with stained glass, 1949. North gable has a door on each side and a round window above. South transept has a transomed double lancet to west, and 2 double lancets to east with stained-glass by Abbott & Co. of Lancaster, c1918. South gable has a round window. Western entrance lobby has 2 panelled internal porches and a single door each end. Foundation stone dated 1898. Apsidal ended Sunday School has arch-braced roof with ceiling. North side has half-glazed screens separating the side rooms. Fittings include matchboard benches. No font or pulpit. Memorials include marble and slate tablet with sarcophagus, to George Lambert, 1816. 2 mid C19 marble and slate tablets.

Listing NGR: TA0827829880

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 08278 29880

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 09:43:07.