List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1296690

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireTest ValleyDistrict AuthorityMichelmersh and Timsbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-May-1957

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 140937

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MICHELMERSH CHURCH ROAD SU 32 NW 4/32 Church of St Mary 29.5.57

GV II*

Parish church. C12 church but chancel lengthened mid C13 and N & S transeptual chapels added (S demolished, N vestry), later S aisle, C16 SW separate belfry and refenestration, 1847 restoration and S Porch. Flint with stone dressings, old plain tile roofs, timber-frame and weatherboarded belfry and porch. Plan of long chancel (E part C13), with N vestry/chapel to W bay, nave C12 with C14 S aisle having to W C16 2-stage belfry, and in centre C19 porch. E end of chancel has C13 stepped triple lancets window and C13 sanctus bell opening in gable. To S at E C13 squareheaded 2-light trefoiled window with net tracery. In centre C13 double lancet window, and at W C13 triple lancet window with trefoiled centre light. N wall has at E restored C13 double lancet window. Below, to E, early C18 monument to Margaret Barbar. In front of rest parallel roofed N transept, to ends triple lancet window with trefoils, to N side 3-centred doorway and triple lancet. Nave has to N 3 huge early C16 squareheaded 3-light cinquefoiled windows, that to W restored, tall stepped buttresses between and at W. S aisle as to E half C19 foiled and ogee-headed lancets. In centre C19 gabled timber porch with carved barge- boards. Beside on W, C19 ogee-headed lancet and buttress at W end under tiled coping extending from roof. Square-plan 2-stage belfry with 2-light bell-openings on each face and hipped roof with weathervane. At W end of nave has C16 chamfered roundheaded doorway, 2-light window in square-head and on each corner tall stepped buttresses. Inside chancel, E window has splayed pointed arch as does N window and central 5 windows. SE window has flat arch and pointed niche in W splay and reset C13 stained glass heads. SW window below S transept arch. Transept arches chamfered roundheaded, to S arch remains of imposts and shafts, to N arch part of medieval coffin lid in E Tomb. In front of N arch on C20 base, c1320 stone effigy of Sir Geoffrey de Canterton. On chancel walls monuments : 1538 to Tristram Fantelroy; 1737 to Rev Charles Cranley; 1796 to Rev Baker. At W floor slabs: 1699 to Richard Mannyngham; 1695 to Silena Manningham; 1682 to Rev Richard Mannyngham; 1725 to Phillis Shiplam; medieval slab with lost inlays. Chancel arch C19 chamfered pointed arch lying into walls. S arcade 2 bays, similar. In SW wall high-set door for gallery. On W wall Royal Arms GIIIR. In aisle at W end monument 1682 to Sir William Ogle. Below and to N C17 dado panelling, In front C13 font recarved early C16 of cushion bowl with carved lilies and grotesques on corners to square bottom on drum base. VCH; Vol 3; 1908; p426-7. Pevsner; Hampshire; 1967; p335.

Listing NGR: SU3467526674

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 426-427
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 335

National Grid Reference: SU 34608 26622

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 03:04:15.