List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1296311

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthorityExton

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265436

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS93SW EXTON CP EXTON VILLAGE ViLLAGE 19/23 Church of St Peter 6.4.59

GV II* Parish church. Some Norman work in nave, C13 tower, C15 aisle, refenestrated early C16, church restored and chancel rebuilt 1876, tower restoration dated 1928. Random rubble local slate, tower and west end of aisle pebbledash, slate and asbestos slate roofs, decorative ridge tiles, coped verges. West tower, 3-bay nave and north aisle, south porch chancel. Crenellated 2-stage tower, diagonal buttresses to second stage, north-west buttress with date 1928, lancet bell opening, wooden louvred opening south face with lancet below, no west door; 3-light cinquefoil-headed mullioned windows, except in chancel, one on either side of single storey, gabled porch, unbuttressed, moulded arch openings, C19 door, flat bedded chequer board pattern slate floor, trefoil-headed statue niche above door, slate tablet inscribed to Ann Norris, died 1717 opposite; chancel, chamfered pointed arch priest's door, 2-light window right, 3-light east window, north aisle lit east end and 3 windows on north front, blocked central opening between large slate topped buttresses. Interior: rendered, quoins to window openings and tower arch exposed, standard Perpendicular 3-bay arcade, unmoulded chancel arch with chamfered jambs, pointed tower arch. C19 collar beam roof with struts in chancel, nave and aisle remains of earlier ceiled wagon roof, now open, new bosses in nave. Hagioscope in north aisle wall. Reredos of glass mosaic c 1890. Medieval tiles set along altar step. Pulpit of C18-C19 panelling reset. Perpendicular font. Stained glass: east window by Lavers, Barrand and Westlake dated 1886, south chancel window with portraits of the doners, one died 1867. Fine painted and gilded wooden panel to Rose Pearse, died 1712 and her husband Robert, died 1732, with painted cherubs, skulls and flowers; black and white wall tablet to Martha Williams died 1826, by Lancaster and Walker of Bristol. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: SS9258433706

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SS 92584 33706

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 01:08:10.