List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: JACOBEAN WING (EAST) AND VICTORIAN WING (NORTH) OF RAWDON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1296072

Location

JACOBEAN WING (EAST) AND VICTORIAN WING (NORTH) OF RAWDON HOUSE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireBroxbourneDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Nov-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 157450

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for 6/78

HODDESDON HIGH STREET (east side) Hoddesdon

Rawdon House Jacobean Wing (east) and Victorian Wing (north) of

The item shall be amended to read

HODDESDON HIGH STREET (east side) Hoddesdon

Jacobean Wing (east) and Victorian Wing (north) of Rawdon House

--------------------------------

1. 5251 HODDESDON HIGH STREET (east side) Hoddesdon Rawdon House Jacobean Wing (east) and Victorian Wing (north) of TL 3708SW 6c/78 13.4.6 (formerly listed as Saint Monicas Priory (formerly Rawdon House))

II*

2. Circa 1630-50, extended and restored 1879 by Ernest George and Peto. Red brick, stone dressings, machine and terracotta tile roofs. L-plan. Jacobean Wing is 5 bays, 3 storeys. Square porch has rusticated ground floor with detached Doric columns on pedestals and brick upper floor with Ionic columns. Canted 2- storey window bays each side with mullioned and transomed casements, crenellation and continuous entablature. Shaped gables to attic , centre one raised and pedimented bearing terracotta date plaque. Imitation Tudor chimney stacks. Roughcast rear elevation has full-height, square, central staircase tower. Tudor hood moulds and arch-headed door with scrolled date plaque. Reused, panelled oak door. Large consoles on diagonal Ground floor buttresses. Canted window bays each side.

Much restored C17 interior . C19 restored staircase with carved beasts on newel posts and figured strapwork panels. Good Ionic doorcase on 1st floor landing with strapwork pilasters and pedestals. Strapwork plaster ceillings to ground and 1st floors. Jacobean revival fireplace in entrance hall.

Victorian wing is a 4-window, two and a half storeyed, S facing elevation. Wide rusticated carriage arch with detached Doric columns. 2 shaped gables and a 2 storey, crenellated, canted window by E of arch. Lamp on wrought iron brackets. Continous entablature. 4-gabled dormers on N elevation with imitation Jacobean strapwork. (Pevsner (1977)), RCHM Typescript)

Listing NGR: TL3730208434

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977)

National Grid Reference: TL 37302 08434

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2014 at 08:27:32.