List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1296005

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetWest SomersetDistrict AuthoritySelworthy

National Park: EXMOOR

Grade: I

Date first listed: 22-May-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 265524

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS9146 SELWORTHY CP SELWORTHY VILLAGE 26/106 Church of All Saints 22.5.69

GV I Parish church. C14 lower stage of tower, rest Perpendicular, south aisle dated 1538, 1875 restoration revealed wall paintings now much eroded. Roughcast over rubble, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges. West tower, 4-bay nave, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel. Crenellated 2-stage unbuttressed tower, moulded plinth, square north-east stair turret, 2-light louvred bell openings, C19 2-light west window, no west door; 3-light windows to west ends of aisles, crenellated and buttressed south aisle, 3-light window left of 2-storey diagonally butressed porch, 2-light window above moulded, pointed arch opening with decorated panelled jambs and soffit, remains of holy water stoop beside depressed 4-centred arch door with C16 studded door; two 2 X 4-light windows to right, similar at east end of aisle, 4-centred arch priests door, 3-light east widnow, 2 x 4 light window east end of north aisle, four 3-light windows with rood stair projection between first and second bays. Interior: rendered, remains of painted wall deocration, exposed quoins to openings. Perpendicular arcade of clustered columns with vine leaf capitals, respond at south-west end dated 1538. No chancel arch, corbelled beam inserted, pointed chancel arch chamfered in 2 orders. C19 wagon roof to chancel, ceiled wagon roof to nave with fine bosses and wall plate, south aisle very fine wagon roof with moulded ribs and bosses, triple frieze wall plate with angels, north aisle open wagon roof with bosses carved in 1890 by local woodworking class. Openings to roodstair in north aisle. Statue niches and piscina in east wall. West end oak panelled gallery added c1750. Squire's pew in the form of ogee headed oriel to parvise with slender wooden column and panelling, 1804, 4-centred arch head doorway to stairs right. Pulpit of reset medieval panelling with C17-C18 sounding board and hour glass. Stained glass; fragments of medieval glass in east window of north aisle, windows by Sir Ninian Comper and Clayton and Bell. Norman font with tall C19 cover and pulley. C18 baluster turned communion rails from a church in north Devon. Organ inserted 1983 from St Clements Church, Ipswich. Reredos by Philip Burgess of West Porlock, 1900. Metal bound C16 parish chest. Good collection of monuments including marble pair by Sir Francis Chantrey to Charles Baldwyn and Charles Richard Dyke Acland died 1837 and 1828, slate and marble wall tablets to William Blackford, died 1730, and to Charles Stayninq, died 1700; and collection of brasses including one to Guilmi Fleete died 1617. One of the finest churches in the county. (Photographs in NMR; Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: SS9198446806

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: SS 91984 46807

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 07:44:50.