List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1295976

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, BERKLEY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityBerkley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267055

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST84NW BERKLEY CP BERKLEY STREET (East side)

8/109 Church of St Mary

11.3.68

GV II*

Church 1751. Probably by Thomas Prowse of Berkley House. White washed rubble stone work with dressed Doulting stone quoins, stone slates hipped roof with Doulting ashlar stone work to West tower. Entered through West porch with ringing floor and bell chamber over, to the South a small vestry, square nave with projecting chancel beyond. Full width pediment to entrance, semi-circular head to door opening, set in semi-circular recess with imposts and keystone; above, a plaque, a round headed window with leaded light, square headed, wooden louvred bell openings in all 4-sides; modillion cornice, ballustraded parapet surmounted with tall corner urns. On either side of tower blocked round headed openings; to right side a low, stone tiled roof to vestry and prominent stainless steel flue replacing stone chimney which survives. Triple-light Romanesque East window with C19 stained glass; on North and South sides of nave, central Ventian windows with relieving arches, rectangular leaded lights; the central window on the North side with stained glass. To each side, blocked round headed openings. Square, aisled nave with central glazed cupola and octagonal dome carried on 4 Ionic columns set in a square, surrounded by moulded plaster covered, beaded and compartmented ceiling. Delicate decorative plasterwork to dome. Ionic pilasters to walls. Stone flagstones with some C19 tiles. In chancel, a pair of fine C17 carved panel back chairs with arts. Font, lectern, pulpit and pews all mid C19. On East wall of nave a monumental slab inscribed with a history of Kewborough family from the time of the Conquest until 1680.

Listing NGR: ST8111249404

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: ST 81112 49404

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 05:51:33.