List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DINTHILL HALL

List entry Number: 1295699

Location

DINTHILL HALL, A458 (T)

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityBicton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259076

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BICTON C.P. A 458 (T) (south side) SJ 41 SW 9/16 Dinthill Hall 29.1.52 GV II*

Small country house. Dated 1734 (rainwater heads), for Leighton and Anne Griffiths. Mid-to late C18 addition. Red brick with painted sandstone ashlar dressings. Slate roofs, 2-span to right. L-plan with service wing to west and later infill block at rear. Two storeys and attic over basement with 2-storey addition and service wing of one storey and gable- lit attic. North front: plinth with moulded stone top, chamfered stone quoins, moulded stone cornice, broken forward over quoins, and parapet with moulded stone coping. Tall integral brick end stacks with panels to front and oversailing caps; gable-end parapets to rear of stacks. Three dormers with 2-light wooden casements and triangular pediments. Six bays; glazing bar sashes with moulded stone cills and gauged-brick heads with raised keystones. Central C18 oak door with 10 raised and fielded panels and doorcase with moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze, flanking panelled pilasters, and scrolled brackets supporting a segmental pediment, with cornice broken back to centre. Flanking narrow 8-pane sashes. Door approached by 7 grey sandstone steps with moulded nosings and flanking plain wrought-iron railings, curving outwards at base to cast-iron end balusters. Fire insurance plate above doorway. Right-hand gable end with first-floor segmental-headed boxed glazing bar sash to right, and left-hand gable end with first-floor segmental-headed boxed glazing bar sash to left and ground-floor glazing bar sash to left with stone cill and gauged-brick head. Each gable end has C18 cast rainwater head, superscribed: G with moulded cornice above and mask below; C20 downpipes. Rear L A wing: moulded wooden eaves cornice, parapeted gable end with moulded 1734 stone coping and square brick ridge stack to rear. East front: gabled dormer with 4-pane sash. Four bays; first-floor boxed glazing bar sashes. Large ground-floor bow with coped parapet and tri- partite glazing bar sash with stone cill and lintel. Small C18 glazing bar sash to right. C18 door to west with 8 raised and fielded panels (top 2 glazed) with moulded architrave and bracketed hood. Gable end with segmental-headed 2-light attic window, first-floor boxed 8-pane glazing bar sash to left and pair of ground-floor boxed 4-pane sashes. Late C18 block in angle at rear (see straight joint to west) with parapeted gable end and stack in valley. Two bays; segmental-headed glazing bar sashes (boxed to right) with stone cills. Left-hand ground-floor window replaced with casement. Service block to west: roof hipped to front. Parapeted gable end to rear with moulded stone coping, and central large square brick ridge stack. East side with pair of wooden cross windows to right (right-hand one partially obscured by later linking range) and door to left with 6 raised and fielded panels, pegged frame and bracketed flat hood. Gable end to rear with segmental-headed wooden cross window to attic and ground-floor window altered with inserted C20 casement. Wooden cross window and small 2-light wooden casement to west. One-storey link to main block has (probably relocated) C18 oak door with 10 raised and fielded panels. Interior of house: mostly c.1734 with some early C19 alterations. Entrance hall: reordered C17-type oak panelling. Husk garland around ceiling rose. Fireplace to rear with beaded round arch and cast-iron stove. Left- and right-hand ground-floor rooms with moulded cornices. Left-hand ground-floor rear room, remodelled in the early C19,with moulded cornice, coving,and doors with reeded architraves. Cast-iron stove to rear wing, by W. Howe & Sons Ltd., Shrewsbury, set in a chamfered segmental-arched fireplace. C18 dog-leg oak staircase to rear wing, rising to attic, with landings, open string with cut brackets, barleysugar balusters (3 to each tread of lower flights and 2 to upper flights), and ramped moulded handrail wreathed with quarter splay to unfluted columnular foot newel. Columnular foot newel to upper flight too. Panelling to side of lower flight. Left-hand front bedroom: C17-type oak panelling. C18 raised and fielded panelling to fireplace wall, with dado rail and moulded cornice. Fireplace with Delft-type tiled reveals, Purbeck marble surround with raised and fielded panels and imposts, and moulded wooden cornice. Doors flanking fireplace. Right-hand front bedroom: dado panelling and moulded cornice. Fireplace with marble slip, lugged architrave, pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. Dressing rooms to rear of each front bedroom, that to left with C17-type panelling and moulded cornice. Left-hand rear bedroom: C17-type oak panelling. Fire- place with beaded marble surround, cast-iron basket grate with Neo-Classical ornament, and raised and fielded panelling above. C18 doors throughout, with 6 raised and fielded panels, L-hinges, panelled reveals and moulded architraves. Dinthill was the Griffiths family house from the beginning of the C18 until the beginning of the early C19 when it passed to the Wingfields. The front sashes are probably late C18 replacements of early C18 boxed sashes (which still survive in the rear wing), and the outer ground-floor windows were also probably cut down at the same time). The Hall is approached by a long tree-lined avenue from the north. B.O.E. p. 121; H.E. Forrest, Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners (1924), pp. 25-35.

Listing NGR: SJ4283012715

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Forrest, H E , Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (1924), 25-35
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

National Grid Reference: SJ 42830 12715

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 11:05:22.