List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALBRIGHTON HALL

List entry Number: 1295552

Location

ALBRIGHTON HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityPimhill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jul-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259120

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOMERE HEATH C.P. ALBRIGHTON SJ 41 NE 6/59 Albrighton Hall 11.7.85 GV II*

Small country house, now hotel. Circa 1675, altered and enlarged in 1885, and further extended in c.1950. Some minor late C20 alterations. Red brick with blue brick diaper work and yellow/grey sandstone ashlar dressings. Hipped plain tile roof, 2-span to east. Double-depth plan, with later additions at rear. C19 additions in a late C17 style. 2 storeys and attic. South (entrance) front: plinth with chamfered stone top, flush quoins, moulded stone string course, moulded wooden modillion eaves cornice, and parapeted gable end to right of rear range with stone coping. Brick stack on return ridge to left and 2 brick stacks in valley to right, consisting of multiple square shafts (left to right, 8, 6 and 3) with oversailing tops. 3 hipped dormers with 3-light wooden casements, and pair of small flat-roofed dormers between first and second large dormers from left. 6 irregularly-spaced bays; 2-and 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed casements with gauged- brick heads. Blocked doorway in third bay from right with 2-light window, radial fanlight, moulded stone architrave with impost mouldings, and pair of C19 panelled doors in front with moulded wooden architrave. C16 shallow-gabled porch with Tudor archway, moulded cornice, and parapet with moulded coping and uncarved shield to front. Painted sundial with gnomon to left of first-floor left-hand window. Left-hand return front: 2 hipped dormers with 2-light wooden casements. 2 bays; 2- and 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed windows to first floor. Right-hand ground-floor window cut down in C19 and French casements inserted. C19 canted bay to left with plate-glass sashes, cornice and coped parapet. Painted sundial with gnomon to right of right-hand first-floor window. One hipped dormer to right-hand return front. One-storey C19 conservatory adjoining to right, timber framed on brick plinths, with convex glazed roof to lantern with ogee lead cap; 4 x 3 bays, with glazing bar sashes divided by fluted pilasters and central pair of half-glazed doors to front. Rear: plain modillions. 4 hipped dormers. Wooden cross windows, stepped up staircase to left. Large addition of 1885 to north-west in a late C17 style. 2 storeys with brick ridge stack, external brick lateral stack to rear range, and external brick end stack. 3 bays to west; mullioned and transomed wooden casements, 2 on ground floor cut down, with French casements to left and main en- trance to right. Smaller one-story kitchen block of 1885 to north- east. Circa 1950 addition to north. Interior: altered c.1885 but still retaining many late C17 fixtures and fittings. Right-hand ground- floor room: formerly 2 rooms, including central entrance hall; altered and refitted in the C19 using much early C17 panelling etc. Re-ordered C17 oak panelling with fluted frieze and dentil cornice. Pair of oak doors (to staircase) with reused C17 carved panels and radial fanlight. Pair of fireplaces made up from early C17 carved panels etc.. Left- hand fireplace with marble slip, carved balusters, and overmantel with carved panels including heraldic animals and central painted coat of arms. Right-hand fireplace with carved surround, including scrollwork and figures etc., flanking carved balusters, 2 arched panels divided by terms and carved frieze and cornice (right-hand baluster dated 1640). Left-hand ground-floor room: late C17 fittings. Oak dado panelling with dado rail, and moulded cornice. Chimney-piece consisting of C19 fireplace with stone arch, bolection-moulded architrave and moulded cornice, and late C17 overmantel with tapestry flanked by twisted Ionic half columns supporting full entablature with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. C17 doors to right-hand room (double) and rear corridor, each with 2 moulded panels and moulded architraves. Left-hand ground- floor rear room: Late C17 moulded oak panelling with moulded cornice. Remodelled in the late C19 with carved acanthus to cornice, Corinthian pilasters with carved drops, panelled beams, and neo-Jacobean chimney- piece with overmantel incorporating pilasters with carved drops, flanking carved scrolls, and frieze and cornice. Large c. 1675 three-flight square-well oak staircase, rising two floors, with landings, moulded closed string, large bottle-shaped turned balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel posts with acorn-shaped finials and carved pendants. Late C17 panelling at foot of stairs. Pair of late C17 three-panelled first-floor doors at head of stairs with moulded architraves, and C17 door to left with 3 raised and fielded panels and moulded architrave. Further rooms and C19 additions with C19 and C20 fittings and ornament. First-floor rooms not inspected. Albrighton Hall (presumably the previous building on the site) was occupied by Thomas Ireland Sheriff of Shropshire in 1632. It has been suggested that the house is an early C17 building altered in the early C18 but this seems unlikely. The house stands within ornamental grounds with a small lake. Ed. Francis Leach, The County Seats of Shropshire (1891), pp. 147-51; Frances Stackhouse Acton, The Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire (1868), p. 66.

Listing NGR: SJ4962718166

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Stackhouse Acton, F - Title: The Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire - Date: 1868 - Page References: 66
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Leach, F - Title: The County Seats of Shropshire - Date: 1891 - Page References: 147-151

National Grid Reference: SJ 49627 18166

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 06:57:46.