List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1295301

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthoritySton Easton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 267976

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STON EASTON CP HIGH STREET (East side) ST65SW 4/51 Church of St. Mary The Virgin 21.9.60 GV II*

Anglican Parish Church. C11, C15, much rebuilt C19 by Blomfield. Coursed and squared rubble, freestone dressings, ashlar, tile and lead sheeting roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials, small gabled dormers. Nave with North and South aisles, chancel with north and south chapels, west tower. Perpendicular and neo-Perpendicular. C15 embattled 3-stage west tower, diagonal buttresses, pinnacles, single-light bell-chamber windows with quatrefoil interlace; 2-light West window. Remainder of building virtually all C19; 3 bay north and south aisles, 3-light windows; south door, label, paired plank doors, medievalising hinges. Single bay chapels, single bay chancel, 4-light east window. Plastered interior on wood block and encaustic tile floors; C19 roofs, to nave arch-braced; 3 bay arcades to north and south aisles, probably C15, piers of 4-hollows section; similar the arch between north chapel and chancel; south chapel added C19. Norman chancel arch, semi-circular head, colonettes. Simple tower arch of 2 chamfered orders. C18 bowl font. C19 pews, choir stalls, altar rails, pulpit, font and screen; good brass lectern in the form of an eagle, dated 1890. Three C18 wall monuments by Reeves of Bath, Lancaster and Walker of Bristol and H. Blacker of Clutton; 9 C19 wall monuments; most to Hippisley Family of Ston Easton Park (qv), especially in north chapel. Small C18 bracket in the form of a cherub. Three windows with late C19 stained glass. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6238153453

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 62381 53453

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 06:07:50.