List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1295291

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireNorth West LeicestershireDistrict AuthorityMeasham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1965

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 187931

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MEASHAM HIGH STREET SK 31 SW 4/41 (South Side) Church of St. Lawrence 24.11.65 GV II* Church of early C14 and earlier C18. Ashlar and some coursed rubble. W tower of shortly after 1733, nave and aisles (no structural chancel) of early C14 and Perp S.porch. Tower in classical style of 3 stages with moulded bands, angle pilasters, 4 round arched bell openings, battlements and pinnacles. W door dated 1679 with round arched surround having impost blocks and keystone. Tower S wall has contemporary window with Y tracery. Nave and aisles have moulded plinth, buttresses and diagonal buttresses with set-offs and some battlemented finials, battlements and slate roofs. N aisle W end has renewed small round cusped window over blocked door. N windows have Intersected tracery, and attached to N wall an open arch probably for gateway. NE window Reticulated tracery. SW window C19 Curvilinear tracery; S windows Geometrical with 1 C19 Curvilinear; SE, Reticulated. E window renewed Curvilinear. S porch with angle buttresses and close round-arched ribbing to support ceiling and cusped 1-light to left. Nave arcades of 5 bays on quatrefoil piers with double chamfered arches. 6 bay flat-topped 3-light Perp clerestory and C19 low-pitched tie beam roof with wall-pieces and braces on carved corbels. Complete set of oak box pews and W gallery c1843 and mid C19 carved organ front. Fragments of medieval glass in a S window, another with stained glass of 1866 in rich flower scrolls (Abney memorial) and E window stained glass of 1910. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK3352812218

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1960

National Grid Reference: SK 33528 12218

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 03:28:33.