List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE HEXT ALMSHOUSES

List entry Number: 1295258

Location

THE HEXT ALMSHOUSES, WEST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSouth SomersetDistrict AuthoritySomerton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263063

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4828 SOMERTON CP WEST STREET (South side)

8/255 The Hext Almshouses (formerly listed as Almshouses)

17.4.59

GV II*

Almshouses. Dated 1626 remodelled 1883 and 1967. Local lias stone cut and squared with Ham stone dressings; undulating plain clay tile roof between coped gables having gabletted finial at east end and small stone bell turret, without bell, to west; brick and stone chimney stacks to rear. Single storeyi 8 bays, formerly one bay to each house, but now modified; each bay has a boarded and studded door in chamfered cambered archway, then a 2-light hollow chamfer mullioned window, then semi-circular arched niche seats for the occupants, appearing in pairs as alternate bays were handed; all right hand (even number bays) doors now blocked: continuous string over all openings; in centre stone plaque with painted arms inscribed 'E.H/He hath Dispersed/abroad and Given/to the Poor/His Benevolence/Remaineth for ever/1626", flanked by 1967 tablets recording latest restoration. Interior not seen. Started by Sir Edward Hext before he died in 1624 and intended for 8 men; this was reduced to 4 in 1883 when the premises were remodelled. (VCH, Volume III, 1974).

Listing NGR: ST4880728508

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Somerset - Date: 1974 - Volume: 3

National Grid Reference: ST 48807 28508

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 12:23:19.