List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MONASTERY OF ST GREGORY THE GREAT, DOWNSIDE ABBEY WITH PETRE CLOISTER

List entry Number: 1295178

Location

MONASTERY OF ST GREGORY THE GREAT, DOWNSIDE ABBEY WITH PETRE CLOISTER, FOSSE WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetMendipDistrict AuthorityStratton on the Fosse

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 25-Jun-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Aug-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 268000

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/10/2012

ST 65 SE 5/202

STRATTON-ON-THE-FOSSE FOSSE WAY (west side)

Monastery of St Gregory The Great, Downside Abbey with Petre Cloister

(Formerly listed as Monastery, West Cloister, Petre Cloister to south and Refectory forming a contiguous group, Downside Abbey and School)

GV II*

Monastery and attached cloister ranges. 1873. The south end not completed until 1899. By A M Dunn and E J Hansom. Bath stone ashlar with red tile roofs. Rectangular double depth block with forward projecting wing where it adjoins church and taller square tower at south end of range. Collegiate High Victorian Gothic style. Main west front of three storeys and attics, the top two being a later addition, also to the tower which is a full four storeys. 7 bay front made up of projecting wing with gable and gable to return, two gabled bays, entrance bay formed by half projecting octagonal tower with conical roof, two more gabled bays and the tower, the bays separated by buttresses with offsets. The windows are mainly of two narrow lights with trefoil heads and divided by a stone mullion. The ground floor windows also have transom and hoodmould, transoms also to the windows of the entrance tower and the top floor of the main tower. Central bay to base of tower. Gables with stone verges and apex crosses. Battlements to both tower parapets. South front of tower is three bays with stair to right. East front has ground floor treated as cloister, ten bays divided by buttresses, four gables and tower above, with taller stair tower. Petre Cloister is single storey running from the monastery to the school. Five light Perpendicular windows divided by buttresses. Interior has plaster panels between ribs. Stained glass with coats of arms of families connected with the community. Plainer cloister returns north to church on east side but overbuilt by C20 buildings which are the guest wing of the Abbey. Interior of monastery not inspected. History: Built for a community of Benedictine monks founded at St Gregory's monastery at Douai in Flanders in 1607, house re-established in England in 1795, present estate purchased 1813.





Listing NGR: ST6546650789

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Fitzgerald Lombard, C , A Guide to the Church of St Gregory the Great Downside Abbey, (1981)

National Grid Reference: ST 65468 50804

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 09:31:30.