List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1295131

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityAb Kettleby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189946

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

AB KETTLEBY CHURCH LANE (West Side) HOLWELL SK 73 23 Church of St Leonard St Ieanard 23/249 II* 1.1.68

Church. C13, repaired C17 and C19. Coursed squared ironstone and limestone, lead roof. Nave and chancel in one. 3-light E window with intersecting tracery flanked by diagonal off-set buttresses. Lancet window to SE with hood mould. Narrow 1-light window to middle S wall with chamfered jambs and stone lintel. Part-blocked S door with chamfer and triangular archer head, top half now a window. 1-light window to SW with chamfered surround. N side has 2-light window to NE with chamfered stone mullion and straight head. N door has chamfer, depressed arched head and hood mould. Offset buttress to right of NE window. W end has faucet window to right of centre with hood mould and projecting bell- cote to centre with single arched opening for bell. Interior: Font, probably C17, with 16-sided bowl, stern and base. Medieval stain-glass shield in E window. Quarries of diamond-leaded SW window have a number of scratched inscriptions recording repairs as follows: H Truckwood/1775; Wm Wainwright/Plumber and Glazier/Sept 1818; Wm Palmer/Plumber and Glazier/Melton Mowbray/January 20/1827; (nearby). Plumber Stupid/Lout; C Kingham/Plumber and Glazier/1889/Melton. Buildings of England. Leicester 1984, p.179.

Listing NGR: SK7358023638

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 179

National Grid Reference: SK 73580 23638

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 04:04:04.