List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1295089

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthorityThurloxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269423

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST23SE THURLOXTON CP

THURLOXTON VILLAGE

7/157 Church of St Giles

29.3.63

GV II*

Anglican Parish church. Norman; C14; predominantly C15; C19 restoration including addition of north aisle of 1868. Random red sandstone rubble, freestone dressings, triple Roman tile roofs, coped verge with a finial. Nave with south porch and north aisle, chancel with north vestry, west tower. Perpendicular, aisle Middle Pointed. Embattled 2-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, 2-light bell-chamber windows with louvres, 2-light west window dated 1500, west door. Two bay nave, square-headed 2 and 3-light windows, each light cusped, stopped labels, leaded lights. South porch with a semi-circular head outer door opening, probably C18, dropped keystone, moulded imposts, paired doors, lamp over. Three bay North aisle with 3 cross-gables, 2-light windows. Two bay chancel, square-headed 2-light windows, leaded lights, blocked priests door. Inner doorway to porch with an early door; interior plastered, nave and chancel under C15/C16 ceiled wagon roofs with moulded ribs and bosses. Three bay arcade to aisle. Norman tub font with a C17 cover. Piscina. Rood screen with 3 arches, dated 1734 the middle containing the doorway, a reading and a prayer desk, pulpit in similar style with 4 carved figures and back-panelling. C18 pews; some C19 pews. C18 and C19 monuments, one by Pollard of Taunton; Jacobean altar table, C18 decalogue plaques under tower with painted figures, Arms of Geo,II. C14, C15, C16 bells. Stained glass: East window of 1883; aid C19 West window; 2 Victoria Jubilee windows, C19 organ, Parson Woodforde, the Cl8 diarist famous for "Diary of a Country Parson' was priest-in-charge for 3 months; (Pevsner N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Church Guide, undated),

Listing NGR: ST2745830425

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Church of St Giles Church Guide
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

National Grid Reference: ST 27458 30425

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 08:36:49.