List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST CATHARINE

List entry Number: 1295074

Location

CHURCH OF ST CATHARINE, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityHoughton on the Hill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190684

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HOUGHTON ON THE HILL

SK 60 SE MAIN STREET (South Side) 5/22 29.12.66 Church of St. Catharine GV II*

Church. C14-C15, restored 1861, chancel partly rebuilt 1857, and N porch of 1874. N porch designed by C. Kirk of Sleaford. Ashlar, coursed squared stone and rubble stone with stone dressings and plain tile roofs, part parapetted. Stone coped gables with finials and angle and diagonal buttresses with set-offs. W tower and spire, nave, aisles, chancel and N and S porches. C14 tower of 3 stages with plinth, moulded bands and angle buttresses with set-offs. Small W door, W window with Y tracery, N 1-light with clock face on front, further 1-lights to S.W.stair and 4 2-light bell openings with Curvilinear tracery. Hood mould continues round tower. Above is a head frieze, battlements and recessed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes and finial with weathercock. Quadruple chamfered nave arch, the inner on polygonal responds. C14 4 bay N arcade with double chamfered arches on quatrefoil piers. C15 4 bay S arcade, hollow and curved chamfered arches, former to ground, latter on shafts. C19 4 bay roof. C14 N aisle but with late Perp windows. 3 3-lights and E 4-light : 3 with c1900 stained glass. Mid C14 sedilia remains in part. C15 roof and battlemented parapet. N door. N porch, dated 1874, with hollow chamfered and moulded doorway on shafted responds. Double chamfered chancel arch. C14 chancel, partly rebuilt 1857. 2 N windows with Y and Reticulated tracery and C19 stained glass and 2 similar S windows. S door. E window with restored Curvilinear tracery forming mouchettes. C19 stained glass. C19 5 bay roof with curved braces to collars. C15 S aisle, the E window with stained glass by Ward and Hughes London, 1891, and 3 S windows by T. Curtis of same firm, 1905. Piscina and double chamfered S doorway. C15 restored roof. C15 s porch, the openwork gable with short wall posts, tie beam, curved braces, and curved struts. Welsh slate roof. C13 round front on 8 short shafts. Marble wall monument to Mrs. A. Bent, died 1677. Cartouche with angel heads, the inscription in place of arms. White's Leicestershire and Rutland, 1877, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6763603303

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1877 - Journal Title: Whites Directory

National Grid Reference: SK 67636 03303

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 10:40:31.