List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: QUENBY HALL

List entry Number: 1295060

Location

QUENBY HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityHungarton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190693

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HUNGARTON SK 70 NW 3/31 19.10.51 Quenby Hall

GV I

Mansion. c1615 - 30, dated 1621 and 1630, possibly raised slightly later C18, and with some restoration c1905. Restoration by G. Bodley and J.A. Gotch. Red brick diapered with dark blue brick on W front, and with stone plinth, quoins, dressings, moulded bands, and parapetted bitumen roofs with brick and stone stacks, some projecting. H plan with entrance front of c36m. 3 storeys and basement of 11 stone mullion and transom windows, including 5 full-height canted bays. From left : 6-light canted bay; 2 2-lights on wing inner return; 6-light canted bay; 2-light; 10-light canted bay; 2-light; 6-light canted bay; 2 2-lights on wing inner return and 6-light canted bay. Similar windows on ground floor. Central rectangular porch supporting bay above. Stone doorway with moulded rounded arch and rusticated jambs. 2-leaved panelled door up wide flight of stone steps. Above doorway an entablature running round porch and where bay becomes canted a stone pedestal and ball on the angle. Stone tablet over with coat of arms of Ashby family and inscription referring to 6 Chas. (1630). 2-light windows in basement, some blocked. On 2nd floor 3-light windows on bay fronts, otherwise 2-lights except for central bay which is higher than rest. Here a 1-light on the canting and a 2-light a 1/2 storey above. Clock face in diamond shaped frame over, and above the parapet a C19 stone bellcote and bell. Front to right, shorter and without bays. Rear front similar to entrance front. Fine interior. Hall with screens passage, the wooden screen decorated with columns and rusticated arches. Fireplace has C18 pediment with arms of de Lisle, brought from Garendon Hall, Loughborough. Early C17 panelling in Brown Parlour. Carving includes tiers of blank arches. Said to have been brought in in later C18. Stone fireplace. Rich plaster ceiling in Library. Oak well staircase with turned balusters. Great Parlour, now ballroom, has magnificent fireplace for a century in Hall below but restored to original position by Gotch. Columns, pilasters, grotesques, strapwork and central coat of arms. Early C20 ceiling and C17 panelling brought in from other rooms. Further rich plasterwork friezes in other rooms, together with panelling and overmantels. In Library a stone fireplace by Edward Welby Pugin of 1864, and brought from Garendon Hall. In Sitting Room a later C18 carved marble fireplace. Further oak staircase with turned balusters. In Dining Room windows are stained glass panels with arms of Ashby and allied families. Quenby was built for George Ashby and is dated on a rainwater head 1621. The Ashbys and decendants owned the estate from C13 to 1904. Recently it has become the seat of the de Lisle family, formerly of Garendon Hall, Nr. Loughborough. Stilton cheese was first made at Quenby. "Quenby Hall is the most important house in the Elizabethan - Jacobean style in the county," Pevsner. Quenby Hall guide book, Derby, 1977, and Pevsner, where pl.32 shows front.

Listing NGR: SK7018606393

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 26 Leicestershire,

National Grid Reference: SK 70186 06393

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 08:52:20.