List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1295028

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityBelvoir

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190025

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 8231-8331 BELVOIR Harston

44/203 Church of St Michael and All Angels 1.1.68 II*

Parish church. Late C14 west tower, nave 1888, chancel and south chapel 1871 by C. Kirk. Coursed ironstone and slate roofs. 3 stage tower supported on angle buttresses. Lancet west window ,single light to ringing chamber and 2-light belfry windows, all C19. String course below belfry and below crenellated parapet. Gabled south porch of 1888 and 2 2-light south windows in late Flowing style, each separated by stepped buttresses. 4 similar north window bays. 3 lancets to north chancel, one to south. South chapel impinges on nave and is similarly lit though lancets. 3 stepped lancets to east end. Interior. Octagonal traceried font, the stem C15, the bowl 1888. Triple chamfered tower arch on corbels. C19 scissor braced nave roof with 5 subsidiary arched braces on corbels. Chancel arch with Early English circular responds on waterholding bases and with moulded capitals. To either side are hollow chamfer mouldings. The arch itself has undercut mouldings. Chancel roof is a simpler version of that to nave: it has no arched braces. Windows of chancel shafted in interior. Chapel with 3-bay arcade of double columns arranged as a screen. Mid C17 panelled pulpit, of which 3 sides only remain. In porch stands an interlace Saxon stone with cable border.

Listing NGR: SK8384031774

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 83840 31774

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 03:06:31.