List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1294950

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireSouth StaffordshireDistrict AuthorityBlymhill and Weston-under-Lizard

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 271610

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 81 SW WESTON UNDER LIZARD C.P. WESTON PARK.

4/41 Church of St. Andrew. 19.3.62

GV I

Parish Church. Mediaeval core to post-Reformation Tower with Nave, circa 1701 attributed to Lady Wilbraham, vestry and family chapel and pew by Ewan Christian of 1876-7, restoration by Street, circa 1869. Red sandstone ashlar, white to dressings; brown tile roof behind parapet, flat roofs to tower and chapels. Nave without aisles, roofed continuously with chancel, Chancel, West Tower, South Chapel and North Vestry. Entrance to Tower of five stages, diagonal buttresses of four tiers to bottom stage; door of 1701 with arched head, keystone and bolection roll surround; two light trefoil headed windows to first and third levels, single elsewhere; string course and battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Nave: Provincial Baroque, originally of 4½ bays, two now, part screened by Chapel and Vestry, divided by giant pilaster strips, on moulded plinth to pulvinated frieze, cornice and blocking course, quoins and tall round arched windows to each bay with keystone heads and moulded cills; East end retains C14 work, including three light pointed window with reticulated tracery, dutch gable parapet over; chapel and vestry, similar, to sides of East half of nave, 2-1-2 light windows of byzantine style with labels over; priest's door to left. Interior: Nave of two bays, chancel expressed by C19 arcaded sides of vestry and chapel; two bays, pointed arches on squat circular columns with moulded capitals; unmoulded, pointed arch to West of Nave; some C12 carved stones in South wall of Tower. C19 ceiling of cove to wide boarded soffit and central barrel vault with exposed trusses; coffered ceilings elsewhere; Pulpit: circa 1701, timber, octagonal of uneven sides, carved panels with tester over; Font by G. E. Street, circa 1869, circular, with engaged marble columns to base; early C18 wrought iron communion rail with central coat of arms attributed to Bakewell; C19 oak desk lectern on spiral stand and cinquefoil fretted sides; C19 arcaded timber screen to South Chapel; Glass: East window by Hardman, circa 1876 using some C14 panels, chapel window by Kempe, circa 1895, North West window in Nave is C17 Netherlandish. Monuments: To commemorate ancestors, in Lady Wilbraham's building, these are mainly by Sir William Wilson, possibly including painted wooden effigies in sanctuary of Sir Hamo De Weston, D.1189 and Sir Hugh De Weston, both in arch recesses with C18 inscriptions; also Baroque aedicules to East end, similar pair flanking East window, marble and slate, Corinthian columns on plinth to inscription tablet and broken segmental pediment and coat of arms in cartouche to tympanum. Smaller similar trios of wall tablets to North and South sides of sanctuary, naive Baroque with enrichments of fruit, cherubs and coats of arms; two wall tablets also aedicular in Nave to Lady Newport of 1709 and 1725, Richard Newport of paired inscription to former, marble and slate, corinthian pilasters cornice, broken at angles, bearing three flaming urns; latter to North with triple layer grounds, swags and cherub below and segmental pediment over with coat of arms; immediately to North, Arts and Crafts memorial of painted stone to Richard Bridgeman, D.1917. Bridgeman Chapel: East: Marble memorial to Countess of Bradford, D.1897 by J. Taylor; bas relief reclining figure. South: Earl of Bradford, D.1825 by Hollins, marble putto, torch sarcophagus, Earl of Bradford, D.1865, marble, Greek revival, Countess of Bradford, D.1842 by Hollino, marble relief reclining figure and angels over, Earl of Bradford, D.18OO by Rossi, marble relief seated girl against segmental pediment. Painted hatchment in tower.

Listing NGR: SJ8061710650

Selected Sources

Other
Part 38 Staffordshire,

National Grid Reference: SJ 80612 10649

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 04:31:51.