List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1294816

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityMedbourne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190987

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MEDBOURNE

SP 7993 MAIN STREET (West Side)

8/84 Church of St. Giles 7/12/66 GV II*

Church. C13-C15 with C17 S porch, chancel of 1876 and restored 188O-1. Chancel by Edwin Dolby of Abingdon. Ashlar and coursed rubble stone and Collyweston slate and leaded roofs with stone coped gables and finials. Buttresses with set-offs. W tower, nave, S aisle, N and S transepts, E aisle to S transept, chancel, and S porch. Tower of C13 (lower part) and C15 (upper part) and of 3 stages with setback buttresses, W door, window, SW stair with 1-lights, S 1-light, 4 2-light bell openings, clock faces to E and S, and battlements. Triple chamfered arch to nave,the inner on semi-circular responds. N window, the tracery with mouchettes, and N door. c1300 double chamfered N transept arch with semi-circular responds. 3 bay restored S arcade with circular piers. C19 3 bay polygonal wagon type roof. N transept now vestry/meeting room, probably altered C17, with 3-light stone mullion windows (bases of shafts remain ). Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner on polygonal responds. Chancel has 3 N windows, 2 S windows, sedilia and 2 niches, and E window with Geometric tracery filled with stained glass of 1875. C19 roof similar to nave. Many moulded arch to S transept aisle with keeled responds. S transept of late C13 has 3 bay arcade with chamfered and moulded arches on octagonal piers and above the responds 2 carved figures to N and figure to S. Niche, piscina and triple sedilia. S transept has C19 roof similar to nave, and the transept E aisle a mostly restored C15 roof. Large transept window with restored Curvilinear tracery and N window with C20 stained glass. In S aisle 2 restored Perp windows. Early C14 S doorway with ballflower decoration. C17 S porch with rounded arch and pair of wooden gates. C13 round font with 4 shafts at corners. C19 base and probably C17 octagonal bell-shape wooden cover. In S transept a tomb recess with wide cusped trefoil arch and upper 2/3 of effigy of priest. Fine marble wall monument to Edward Conyers, died 1701. Painted Royal Arms of 1778. V.C.H. Vol V, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP7996493067

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Leicester - Date: 1964 - Volume: 5
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1984

National Grid Reference: SP 79964 93067

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 05:27:56.