List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1294793

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyGuildfordDistrict AuthorityEffingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 288656

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 15SW EFFINGHAM C.P. CHURCH STREET

6/76 Church of St. 14/6/67 Lawrence

GV II*

Church. C12 origin with south transept of c1250, chancel C14, nave, aisle and western tower 1888 by W. J. Shearburn. Random flint rubble, cut and knapped in tower and nave, with ashlar dressings and quoins. Plain tiled roofs. Short tower to west, nave with south aisle and added porch, transept to south and chancel to east. Tower: offset buttresses to west end, 2 storeys under battle- mented parapet. 3 lancets, linked under continuous hood mould, with louvered openings in 3 stages of top stage. C19 Perpendicular style window to west end; over C19 double doors in stone surround. 3 bay,buttressed,nave with ogee-arch, 2-light tracery windows under stone voussoir heads to north side. 2 bay chancel with Y tracery single light windows and 2-light window to north under segmental label moulding. (C14). C14 window to east vestry to south flanking chancel. Gabled C19 porch with simple arched surround to double doors. Interior: 4 bay south arcade on round piers with moulded capitals. Chancel arch with 3 orders of jamb shafts under plain capitals. Panelled wood ceilings with billeted wall plates to nave and chancel. 2 bay transept with braced crownpost roof and quoined surrounds to windows. Fittings: Marble and gilt reredos, early C20. Late C19 pulpit with ogee arched crocketed panels. Marble Font: round bowl on centre stem with 4 siennese marble detached pillason keyhole step plinth. Piscina to south wall of chapel. Water stoup by South Door. Stained glass window: To north wall at junction with chancel; by Heaton Bulter and Baynes 1911. Mosaic and terracotta panels flanking the reredos depict Gabriel and Oriel. By Caesar Czarnikow 1911. Monuments: White stone tablets in chancel. Remainder of monuments moved to tower walls. North Wall: Various tablets including one to Maria Parratt. Died 1844,by William Pistell. In neo-classical style with grey stone,arched,ground and reclining mourning figure on a couch. Further tablets to south wall. It is possible that the transept was built by the monks of Merton Priory.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p. 207.

Listing NGR: TQ1182953664

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Surrey - Date: 1971 - Page References: 207

National Grid Reference: TQ 11829 53664

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 08:25:28.