List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HEADMASTER'S HOUSE

List entry Number: 1294785

Location

HEADMASTER'S HOUSE
HEADMASTER'S HOUSE, ROOKERY HIL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyMole ValleyDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 290394

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHTEAD ASHTEAD PARK TQ 1857-1957 7/12 7.9.51 Headmaster's House

II

House. Dated 1734 on sundial at 1st floor; altered. Handmade red brick in Flemish bond, slate roof. Rectangular plan. Two storeys and 2:3:2 bays, symmetrical, with a 3-course band. The centre, breaking forwards slightly, has corner pilasters to the ground floor only, a square single-storey porch which has a reeded surround to the doorway, a recessed door with glazed top panels, and a hipped roof; the ground floor has segmental-headed cross-windows with casement openings and internal saddle-bars, but that to the right of the centre has been blocked (only the head visible) and the next slightly altered; the 1st floor has 3 square blind windows in the centre, the middle one covered by a large rectangular sundial with modern painted lettering including the date "1734", and 2-light casements in the side ranges. Hipped roof with ridge chimney offset left of centre, and side-wall chimney at right-hand end. At the left end an added screen wall continues flush with the front wall, and behind this is an earlier screen wall ramped up to the eaves. Rear and interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: TQ1955258266

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 19552 58266

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 04:50:32.