List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1294726

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, GATTON PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyReigate and BansteadDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 289327

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

902/5/79 GATTON PARK 19-OCT-1951 MERSTHAM CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

I

Church. Circa C13 origins. Extensively altered in C18 and early C19.

MATERIALS: Stone rubble, partly rendered, some slate-hanging; the tower masonry brought to course, lower stage of tower pebbledashed; red brick porch block; tiled roofs, shingled spire.

PLAN: nave, chancel, W tower; N & S transepts; NE 2-storey porch.

EXTERIOR: The transepts and porch block have coped gables with kneelers and the transepts have tall Gothick windows with Y- tracery. The other windows are a mixture of styles (mostly Perpendicular) and sizes, but including one apparently medieval lancet in the E wall of the S transept. The proud architraves of the S side windows indicate that the wall was intended to be rendered. There are various blocked openings in the N wall and S walls. Slender 3-stage tower with lozenge-plan buttresses at the NE and Se corners, terminating in giant octagonal pinnacles with finials. The W face of the tower has a Tudor arched W window, a deeply recessed wide lancet and a slender lancet to the upper stage. Clock face on N face and a blind roundel on the S; tall shingled spire. Attached to the N transept, which contains the family pew, there is the remnant of a former covered way to the house.

INTERIOR: Pointed plastered roof to nave and lower roof to chancel, plastered groin vaults to transepts. The imported fittings are remarkable, and not all are referred to here. The nave is lined with tiers of Flemish baroque choir stalls, facing one another across the nave, with shaped ends with carved cherubs' heads and claw feet. The stalls have misericords and originate from a Benedictine monastery in Ghent. The stall wainscoting and canopies, which extend across the transepts and have timber pinnacles to the cornice, are from Aurschot Cathedral in Louvain, the cornice dated 1515. The chancel is lined with C16 panelling from Burgundy, the lower tiers linenfold with blind flamboyant tracery in the upper tier. The reredos has panels of text in traceried timber frames. The timber sanctuary rails consist of arcading with clustered shafts and a tier of pierced quatrefoils over. A polygonal timber pulpit projects from the S transept gallery, the carved figure panels are thought to originate from a reredos, with another panel worked into the front of the altar. The N transept is the family pew, lined with upholstered seats and chairs with panelling above and a Victorian timber chimney-piece with overmantel in the Gothic style. The W end is screened off by a 5-bay medieval Perpendicular English church screen with the organ gallery frontal above. W end font with plain octagonal stone bowl on a cylindrical stem with corner shafts and stiff-leaf foliage capitals. Stained glass includes a S window of French C16 glass; an E window of c.1500, a very fine C15 E window in the S transept and an early C16 W window with the arms of Henry VII. Several oil lamps survive, converted for electricity.

HISTORY: Sited in Gatton Park, close to an ancient route, the North Downs ridgeway, and to a large house (now a school), rebuilt in the 1830s by Lord Monson, who also thoroughly rebuilt and refitted the church in 1834. A church is mentioned in the Doomsday Book, but very little medieval fabric is now extant. In the 1830s Lord Monson and his architect, E Webb, added transepts and incorporated ecclesiastical fittings collected from all over Europe, either on the patron's Grand Tour or possibly from London dealers which were established by this date. The Colman family, who bought the estate in 1888, continued to add furnishings to the church. Outstanding overall as an extreme example of C19 antiquarian interests and for the quality of its collection of imported C15 and C16 timber fittings and stained glass, mostly introduced in 1834 by Lord Monson. The family pew is described by Pevsner as 'among the best in the country'. Sources Pevsner, Surrey, 1971 edn., 360-361. Knox, F., Gatton and its Parish Church, 1984. VCH Surrey Vol.3, (1911), 196-200.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 27531 52875

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 09:17:40.