List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1294719

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityThurnby and Bushby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190769

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THURNBY

SK 60 SW MAIN STREET (North Side) 4/111 29.12.66 Church of St. Luke

GV II*

Church. C12 - C15, much rebuilt in and new chancel of 1870-3. Rebuilding by Slater and Carpenter. Granite rubble stone. Coursed squared ironstone and ashlar limestone tower. Parapetted leaded roofs with stone coped gables and finials. Buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs. Central tower, nave, aisles, chancel and S porch. Tower of 3 stages of C12, late C13 and mid C14 with 4 circular piers with many scalloped capitals, 2-lights above to N and S, clock face, 1-lights to E and W, and in upper stage of ashlar, 4 2-light bell openings, diagonal buttresses, frieze with gargoyles, battlements and crocketted pinnacles. C19 NE stair turret. Nave has W window with Geometric tracery, 3 bay arcades with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers, 3 2-light clerestory windows either side, probably mid C14, and C19 3 bay low-pitch tie beam roof. C19 N aisle with N door and 5 windows. Intersected tracery with daggers. C19 chancel : the sedilia either side with black marble shafts, 2 piscinas, and E window with stained glass of 1913. Boarded wagon roof supported by carved wooden angels on stone corbels. Tile (probably Minton) floor. S aisle has 4 windows : Intersected tracery with daggers, and stained glass of 1929, 1885, 1887 and 1933. Piscina and double sedilia. S doorway, the arch with double hollow chamfer. C19 S porch, with part of doorway arch decorated with zig-zag built into it. Tub-shaped font on eight-shafted foot, probably late C13. Painting of Ascension, probably Venetian c1600, or copy. Thurnby Parish Church guide, 1974, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6470503931

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

National Grid Reference: SK 64705 03931

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2014 at 04:37:18.