List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1294595

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, SALTBY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthoritySproxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190300

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 8524 SPROXTON SALTBY ROAD (East side)

28/72 Church of St 1.1.68 Bartholomew

II*

Parish church. C13 west tower, the rest mostly late C14. The following of 1882-83 by H. Woodyer: belfry, south porch, south aisle, south chancel including transept and chapel and the chancel arch. Ironstone with limestone dressings. Unbuttressed 3-stage tower. Lancet west window and a lancet to south. South lancet to ringing chamber. Limestone belfry stage with 2-light windows, crenellated parapet and crocketed pinnacles. 3-light south aisle Perpendicular windows under 4-centered arches. Gabled south porch. North nave wall with a blocked doorway, just pointed, and a 2-light cusped window under a swore head. 3 2-light cusped clerestory windows each side. No openings to north chancel wall. Plain triple lancet east window. Gabled south transept with one high south window. East of this a sloping chapel with doorway and a 2-light window to south; also an east window. 2- light chancel window east of this. Interior. 3-bay south arcade of octagonal piers with moulded polygonal bases and capitals. Double chamfered arches. Wide tower arch on circular responds with polygonal capitals below double chamfered arch. 7-bay nave roof of crenellated moulded tie beams on arched braces dropping on wall posts to corbels. Corbels are stone grotesques and animals. On ties are King post spurs to moulded ridge piece and struts to moulded purlins. Only corbels, King spurs and struts are pre-1882. Late C14 font with shafts to stem and encircled quatrefoils to bowl panels. Chancel arch re-uses a pair of crocket capitals. C19 chancel roof as nave but with traceried spandrels to the arched braces. Head corbels are C19.

Listing NGR: SK8566324918

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 85663 24918

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Dec-2014 at 04:25:52.