List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS (OLD CHURCH)

List entry Number: 1294306

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF THE HOLY CROSS (OLD CHURCH), OLDFIELD LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityEalingLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200985

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OLDFIELD LANE 1. 5010 Greenford Parish Church of the Holy Cross (Old Church) TQ 18 SW 1/10 24.2.50 GV 2.

Probably built or rebuilt late C15 or early C16. Chancel rebuilt C17. Chancel arch 1871. 1882 restoration refaced the chancel. 1913 belfry rebuilt. Aisleless nave and chancel of flint rubble with Reigate and other freestone dressings. Timber-framed and weatherboarded structure at west end to support tower, probably circa 1500. Tiled pitched roofs. Chancel with early C17 windows in south wall. Nave with 4 modern windows. Late C15 south doorway with early C16 timber-frame porch on dwarf walls. Chancel roof C15 king-post type. West annexe circa 1500 of timber with 6 main posts, but intermediate ones on east, modern. Curved braces to cross-beams. Bells of C14, 1510 and 1699. Font of 1638 with contemporary oak cover. West gallery front with turned posts and balusters and similar staircase, both late C17. Good collection of early C16 stained glass, some reputed to be from King's College, Cambridge. C15 and C16 brasses. Good series of monuments and floor slabs of C17 and early C18. (RCHM Middlesex pp 28, 29).

Listing NGR: TQ1451983155

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Middlesex - Date: 1937 - Page References: 28-29

National Grid Reference: TQ 14519 83155

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 06:40:08.