List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FLATS 1, 2, 3, PORCH HOUSE, BELL TOWER, CLOISTERS, SOUTH WING, PEDIMENT, CORNER HOUSE AND TOWER HOUSE AT DINGLEY HALL

List entry Number: 1294135

Location

FLATS 1, 2, 3, PORCH HOUSE, BELL TOWER, CLOISTERS, SOUTH WING, PEDIMENT, CORNER HOUSE AND TOWER HOUSE AT DINGLEY HALL, HARBOROUGH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireKetteringDistrict AuthorityDingley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jan-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 230898

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DINGLEY HARBOROUGH ROAD SP78NE (North side) 3/40 Flats 1,2,3, Porch House, Bell 25/10/51 Tower, Cloisters, South Wing, Pediment, Corner House and Tower House at Dingley Hall (Formerly listed as Dingley Hall) - I Country house, now 10 dwellings. Originally Pre-Reformation preceptory of the knights Hospitalers of St. John but mainly 1558-60 for Edward Griffin and 1670's and 1680's for Sir Edmund Griffin; the latter work is probably by Hugh May or Captain W. Winde. Limestone, lias and ironstone ashlar with Swithland slate roof. Originally courtyard plan now irregular U-shape with projecting wings. Late C17 main front of 8-window range of C20 casements with glazing bars in original openings with moulded stone architraves. String course between floors. Dentilled wood cornice and 5 roof dormers with wood pediments have C20 roof windows between. Hipped roof with ashlar stacks, with moulded cornices, at ridge and eaves. Late C17 projecting wing to left is similar of 3-window range with rusticated quoins. Fine mid C16 porch relocated C19 on end of wing has pairs of fluted Corinthian columns at ground floor flanking 4-centred arch head opening with frieze above. C20 first floor casement in original opening has moulded stone surround with pediment over and ball finials at base and apex. Square panels with rosettes around window and flanking shafts terminating as bulbous pinnacles. Central moulded flourish with volutes and shell. Return walls of porch are similar. Mid C16 wing projects to right of main front and is the rear of the gatehouse. 4-window range of 3-light stone mullion windows, 3 with arch-head lights and one with transom. 2 to left are flanked by pilasters rising from 4-bay ground floor open arcade, of arches with 4-centred heads. Range to right of arcade has 2 C20 doors also with 4-centred arched heads and two 2-light stone mullion windows with arch-head lights. Cornices between floors and ashlar parapet with elongated half-decagons with concave sides and shell and armorial decoration. C20 mansard extension to roof. Octagonal turret to far right has similar parapet with rounded merlons. Late C17 garden front to right of main front of 7-window range of C20 casements with glazing bars in original openings with moulded stone surrounds. Centre 3 bays break forward with pediment over with dentilled wood cornice. Central door opening has C20 casement with moulded stone surround and segmental pediment over, window above has wide moulded stone surround and bracketed cornice. String course between floors and rusticated quoins at corners. Hipped roof with 3 roof dormers and ashlar stacks at ridge. Mid C17 limestone ashlar gatehouse attached to left was originally main entrance to courtyard. Double gates under 4-centred arch head with decorated spandrels flanked by pilasters with corbels supporting diagonal pilasters to first floor. 6-light stone-mullion and transom window to first floor with pediment over. Cornices between floors, and parapets with 3 bulbous finials. Flanking octagonal turrets have parapets with semi-circular merlons. Mid C17 one- and 2-window ranges to left and right of gatehouse are similar with plain parapet and merlons. Inscription around gate arch is part Latin relating to King Philip of Spain. Late C17 elevation to right of garden front of 2-window range with canted projection. Elevation to left of main front has C20 casements. Rear elevation restored C20 has mid C17 turret to right with 2- and 3-light stone mullion windows with arch-head lights and a castellated parapet. Interiors: remodelled late C20, some spiral stairs remain in turrets. House occupied by Griffin family until late C18, then by Hungerforo family. Viscounts Downe, who probably relocated the main porch, and then by Admiral, Earl Beatty. Buildings of England, p.185. Country Life: Feb. 14, 1903, p.208 by J.A. Gotch; April 16, 1921, p.462; April 23, 1921 p.494).

Listing NGR: SP7710387782

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: 14 February - Date: 1903 - Journal Title: Country Life - Page References: 208
  2. Article  Reference - Title: 16 April - Date: 1921 - Journal Title: Country Life - Page References: 462
  3. Article  Reference - Title: 23 April - Date: 1921 - Journal Title: Country Life - Page References: 494
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 185

National Grid Reference: SP 77103 87782

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 01:23:26.