List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1294128

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, CHURCH WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireWellingboroughDistrict AuthorityEcton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233357

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ECTON CHURCH WAY SP8263 (South side) 18/79 Church of St. Mary Magdalene 28/05/54 GV I

Church. C13, C14 and C19. Squared coursed lias and limestone ashlar with lead roof. Aisled nave and chancel, west tower and north and south porches. South elevation of chancel one-window range with 3-light window with C19 reticulated tracery. Ashlar gable parapets and finials and shallow pitched roof. 4-light east window has reticulated tracery. North elevation of chancel is similar to the south with a blocked door opening below the window having a 4-centred moulded stone head. South aisle is of 4-window range. The 3-window range to the left has 2- and 3-light square head windows with carved label stops. Ashlar gable parapets and lean-to roof. South porch to left of centre has double-chamfered pointed arched openings with octagonal responds to outer arch. Ashlar gable parapets and shallow pitch roof. Finial with sundial to left. One-window range to far right of south aisle forms the south chapel and was reconstructed mid C19. One 2-light window with south door in gable projection to left and similar 3-light east window. Ashlar parapets and shallow gabled roof. Three C18 tablets fixed to south aisle wall, one with cherubs heads and drapery. North aisle is of 4-window range of 2- and 3-light square head windows with carved label stops. Ashlar gable parapet and lean-to roof. North porch is similar to south but with moulded and chamfered arch head openings. Statue niche above outer arch. Ashlar parapets and shallow pitched roof. Nave clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light square head windows. Ashlar gable parapets and shallow pitched roof. West tower of 4 stages with 3-stage shallow angle buttresses to lower 2 stages. West door in Decorated opening with cusped lozenge above. 2-light Decorated ringing-chamber openings to each face of third stage. Fourth stage is Perpendicular of limestone ashlar stepped back from lower stages. Pairs of 2-light bell-chamber openings with transoms to each face. Quatrefoil frieze above with quatrefoil parapet and gargoyles and pinnacles at corners. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade of C13 double-chamfered arches with polygonal piers and one circular pier to north. The eastern bay to either side is separated from the other bays by a masonry pier; these may indicate the position of former transepts. Triple-chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds. Similar north and south chapel arches and tower arch with two, 3 and 4 chamfers respectively. Plastered ceilings to nave and south aisle with some exposed beams to south aisle and 3 carved wooden bosses to nave wall. Other roofs are C19. Early C19 panelled pulpit and box pews. Late C17 communion rail. Plank doors to north and south porches. Circular font on C19 base. Family trees of Palmer and Whally families consisting of square marble tablets formed into pointed arch shapes. Monuments: Samuel Freeman died 1707, chancel west wall, is a cartouche surmounted by an urn and flanked by cherubs. John Palmer, erected 1732, by Rysbrack, chancel north wall, is large marble tablet on brackets with bust above and cartouche below. John Palmer died 1761, by Rysbrack, also signed by H.Cox, is similar with obelisk behind. Catherine Whalley died 1817, by Rossi, south wall of chancel, is 2 kneeling figures holding a circular medallion. Ann Isted died 1763, north wall of south chapel, is an inscribed tablet with urn, pediment and obelisk above and flanking cherub: various marbles and Rococo detailing. Norris family, early C18, west wall of north aisle, is a stone tablet with flaming heart and masons symbols at head. South chapel has many C18 and C19 tablets to Isted and Sotheby families of Ecton Hall. Stained glass: north chancel window by Morris and Co. 1924. Early C20 chancel east window and 2 windows in south chapel. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire p.206).

Listing NGR: SP8286163547

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 206

National Grid Reference: SP 82861 63547

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 03:25:06.