List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN

List entry Number: 1294095

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALEN, CASTLE ASHBY PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityCastle Ashby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235425

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP8659 13/25 13/05/68

CASTLE ASHBY CASTLE ASHBY PARK Church of St. Mary Magdalene

GV I

Church. C14 and C15 with older origins. Restored 1869 by G.E. Street. Coursed limestone rubble, lead and copper roofs. Chancel, north chancel chapel, aisled nave, north and south porches and west tower. 3-bay chancel has 5-light east window with 4-centred head and Perpendicular tracery and similar 3-light windows to south, all with hood moulds. Chamfered priest's door to south with 4-centred head, old plank door and hood mould with label stops, and off-set angle buttresses. North chancel chapel of 1 bay continues north aisle with 3-light east window with curvilinear tracery, similar window to west end of aisle, and 3-light windows to north with reticulated tracery, all with hood moulds. Many-moulded north doorway with ridged plank door, in 2-storey porch with re-set late Norman/Transitional doorway with 3 orders of shafts, stylized leaf capitals, and round-headed arch with hollow-chamfer decorated with dog-tooth lozenges and zigzag. South aisle has 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery and hood moulds with label stops. Double hollow-chamfered south door with ridged plank door, in porch with similar doorway. Ogee-arched cinquefoil-headed niche above doorway with hood mould and 2-light windows to east and west sides with straight heads and hood moulds with label stops. Tower has 3 stages and double-hollow-chamfered and roll-moulded west doorway, studded double-leaf doors, quatrefoils to spandrels, and moulded rectangular stone surround and hood mould. 3-light window above with Perpendicular tracery and hood mould. Large polygonal stone clock-faces to north and west, small 1-light window to south and 2-light bell-chamber openings. Diagonal offset buttresses, battlemented parapet and ogee lead roof with weathervane to apex. Body of church has plain stone-coped parapets. Interior: chancel has C19 stone reredos with blank arcading and cinquefoil-headed ogee-arched piscina with stone shelf. Double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds, similar arch to north chancel chapel. Nave has 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded bases and capitals and double-chamfered arches. Ogee-headed niche in south aisle from Grendon church, and ogee-arched piscina. South-aisle has restored C15 roof with moulded cambered ties and stop-moulded rafters. Otherwise C19 roofs of good quality especially that to nave. Plain, octagonal font. C17 hexagonal pulpit on stem with decorative panelling to sides and elaborate tester with openwork cupola and group of finials. Screen round vestry in south aisle is made up of sections of the original readers desk and has similar panelling. Complete set of tiled floors by Minton to designs by Lord Alwyne Compton. Stain-glass east window to north chapel by Lady Marian Alford, before 1888. Fine late C19 stain-glass windows to chancel. Monuments: effigy in Purbeck marble of cross-legged knight on tapering coffin lid. Said to be Sir David de Esseby who died before 1268. Brass to William Ermyn, rector, d.1401; almost life-size and with small figures of saints on the orphreys. Monument to lst Marquis of Northampton d.1827 by E. Blore in form of low reredos to north chapel with central foiled recess framing inscription panel flanked by blank arches with Decorated tracery. Wall monument to Margaret wife of 2nd Marquis who died 1830 signed Pietro Tenerani di Carrara/Facem in Roma Nel 1836. Grecian-style, of Carrara marble, with relief of Charity, and surmounted by bust set against scallop with lush acanthus decoration. Monument to Spencer 2nd Marquis, d.1851 at west end of nave; over life-size seated angel with the trumpet of the Last Judgement on his lap-Carrare marble, on veined grey marble plinth on base of granite and black marble. Inscription to plinth. By Tenerani. Tomb recess with monument to Lady Margaret Leveson-Gower designed by Gillet of Leicester/framing recumbant effigy by Marochetti with angel in shallow relief behind, both in statuary marble. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, ppl37-138; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol IV, p233)

Listing NGR: SP8636659137

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 137-138
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1937)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 30 Northamptonshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 86366 59137

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Dec-2014 at 05:47:37.