List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREATER

List entry Number: 1294053

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREATER, TITSEY HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyTandridgeDistrict AuthorityTitsey

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 287943

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 45SW TITSEY C.P. TITSEY HILL TITSEY 7/287 Church of St. James 11.6.58 the Greater II*

Church. 1861 by J.L. Pearson. Dressed stone, wood gutters to plain tiled roof with ridge cresting, shingled spire. Nave with gabled south porch, chancel with north chapel and vestry; tower to the south east with stair turret on north east angle. Two-light windows linked by cill bands throughout. Planked and studded doors, vestry door to the north set diagonally behind freestanding column with foliage capital.

Interior: four bay nave with tiled centre aisle. Pointed chancel arch on marble columns with leaf capitals, smaller, thinner shafts of marble support hood moulding. Chancel steps formed of old tiles from previous Church; walls inlaid with decorative coloured stone. Northern memorial chapel with quadripartite stone rib vaulting, tiled floors and heraldic window to east. East end windows by Clayton and Bell.

Fittings: Stone arcaded reredos to chancel at east end, triple arched sedelia on south chancel wall. Round wood pulpit with rich foliage carving, lattice patterning and arcading. Square stone font on four squat piers.

Monuments: North chancel chapel north wall: To Emily Elizabeth Gomer, died 1872. Recumbant female stone effigy by M. Noble under arched,cusped, niche and multi- coloured base.

Centre of Chapel: Chest tomb to William Gomer died 1860. Marbled,hipped top with carved crucifix, arcaded sides bearing heraldic shields on moulded plinth. South Wall: Tomb to William Gomer 1895. Recumbant male figure by Thomas Brock, elaborate cusped canopy on marble shafts by Pearson.

East Wall: Brasses to William Gresham. Died 1579. Monument to Marmaduke Gresham. Died 1741. Stone cartouche with cherubs head below and shield above.

Tomb to Anne Wright. Died 1713. White stone draperied cartouche.

North Nave Wall: Aedicular monument to Sir John Gresham. Memorial dated 1660. Lugged central inscription panel, original, flanking draped scrolls, broken pediment and shield on scroll brackets, C19 copy of an original.

PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p. 489.

Listing NGR: TQ4091354975

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 489

National Grid Reference: TQ 40913 54975

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 05:47:49.