List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1294024

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
StaffordshireEast StaffordshireDistrict AuthorityBlithfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 273785

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 02 SW BLITHFIELD C.P. -

13/78 Church of St. Leonard 12/1/66

GV I

Parish Church. c1300; vestry added 1829-30; porch added 1860 by Street, chancel restored 1851 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Ashlar; slate roof to chancel with crested ridge tiles and coped verges. West tower with diagonal buttressses, 4-bay nave with aisles and south porch, 3-bay chancel with angle buttresses and octagonal north vestry with buttress to each angle. West tower: 2 stages with crenellated parapet; buttresses die away below belfry stage which is later probably mid C19 addition; 2-light West window (restored) with hood mould terminating in heads, small square-headed window above containing 2 trefoil arched lights with super mullions over, pointed 2-light belfry openings with hood moulds termina- ting in heads. Nave: Late C15/16 clerestory windows of 3 trefoil headed lights under a 4-centred arch. Aisles have square-headed windows of 2 ogee trefoil arch lights, and moulded parapet. Gabled South porch with pointed arch to pointed South door, and arch-braced roof. Chancel: pointed windows with Y-tracery, bay divisions marked by buttresses, pointed East window of 5 lights with intersecting tracery; recess on South side containing recumbant effigy of a priest, early C13. Vestry: Tudor arch door to west; 3-light window to north and 2-light window to east, both consisting of trefoil arched lights under a square head. Interior: Nave arcade of double chamfered pointed arches on cylindrical columns with moulded capitals, hood moulds terminating in heads; wide pointed chancel arch with continuous roll moulding and broad fillet; pointed tower arch with similar moulding, restored; nave roof of c.1853 a copy of the original of c1500, nearly flat with moulded tie beams, principal rafters and ridge piece, and chamfered common rafters; C19 scissor braced chancel roof; sedilia with trefoil headed niches and continuous hood mould; double piscina with trefoil ogee arch and quatrefoil tracery over, and 2 scalloped basins. Fittings: C12 pillar piscina with scalloped bowl; C14 font, octagonal with roll moulded bands; C15 bench ends with carved tracery and poppyheads; C15 rood screen restored by Bodley in 1881, 4 lights each side of a central opening, frieze and cresting; C19 pulpit attributed to Pugin, octagonal with panelled sides; altar rail, mid-C19, brass. Monuments: Chancel: Chest tomb, Sir Lewis Bagot died 1534, effigies of Sir Lewis and his 2 wives incised on top; Chest tomb, Thomas Bagot d. 1541, and wife, 2 figures incised on top; chest tomb, Sir Richard Bagot d. 1596 and wife, 2 recumbant effigies, Sir Richard in plate armour, a helmet with goats head crest is hung above the tomb; incised slab on floor to Francis Aston d. 1593 and wife; cartouche to Hervey Bagot d. 1755; 3 late C17/early C18 aedilular wall plaques, one with Ionic columns surmounted by urn spouting flame, looped up curtains to sides, the others have Corinthian columns, foliated brackets and open top pediments containing coats of arms. Vestry: 2 wall plaques, Sir Edward Bagot d. 1673, semi-circular head surmounted by coat of arms and flanking cherubs, the other double, Sir Walter Bagot and Dame Jane Bagot, d. 1695, 2 semi- circular headed panels, outer foliated pilasters,gadrooned cornice. B.O.E. p.72.

Listing NGR: SK0441323990

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 72

National Grid Reference: SK 04416 23991

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 10:24:30.