List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

List entry Number: 1294008

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, STOKE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SurreyGuildfordDistrict Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 289102

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GUILDFORD STOKE ROAD SU 95SE (East Side) Stoke 1/235 Church of St. John 1/5/53 the Evangelist

GV II*

Church. Nave, arcade and south chapel early C14, C15 tower and late C16 north chapel; north aisle widened and church restored in 1858 by T. Goodchild; church hall and extensions attached to south side of Church circa 1980. Hearthstone and flint chequerwork on tower, knapped flint on north chancel chapel, flint and mortar conglomerate on remainder; plain tiled roofs. Chancel with chapels on north and south to east of aisled nave with porch and church hall to south,tower to west end. Two stage battlemented tower to west with offset diagonal buttresses and string course between stages. Taller stair turret to south east. One 2-light round-arched louvred opening in each face of upper stage, only that to east face not recut. Clockface and lancet window in west face. Deeply cut foiled-head 4- light perpendicular-style C19 window in west face of lower stage over paired arched doors with elaborate strapwork hinges in stone surround and under label moulding with diamond stops. Four-light tall Perpendicular-style window in west end of north & south aisles with trefoil cusping to window tracery. Arched two-light and quatrefoil windows to south, one either side of church hall with further windows to east of buttress. Offset diagonal buttress on angle of south aisle with C19 window in east end. Original Perpendicular-style window to east end with deep splayed surround, inside and out. Unusual tracery with 5-lights and smaller sub- mullions and triangular windows in two-centred head under hood mould. Three bay north chapel with 8-light mullioned and transomed and 4-light brick mullioned windows on the north side; 2-light window on east wall and two C19 2-light mullioned windows on the north aisle. Interior:- Three bay nave arcades on round piers with two plain chamfered orders with columns on moulded bases and under moulded caps. Late C15 tower arch with two continuously-moulded orders separated by 3/4 hollow moulding. Chancel and nave separated by cambered beam. Chancel chapels of three bays, one bay to north chapel blocked, the others on circular column and half-column responds; south chancel chapel arcade of two wave and ogee-moulded orders with roll moulded, circular bases. Fittings:- C18 font. Black marble octagonal bowl on white baluster stem and black marble base. Early C18 communion rails; remainder of fittings C19 and C20. Monuments - Early C19 tablets including one to Elizabeth Creize (died 1804) by Bacon Jnr. North Aisle - Monument to William Aldersley (died 1800) by Flaxman. Monument to William Parson (died 1799) in Baroque style with thick marble surround and cherubs head above and below. Stained Glass:- North window of the North Chapel commemorates the memory of R. S. Budgett (died 1888) two sets of four lights to a design by Rossetti via F. J. Shields.

PEVSNERS: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp.272-3. V.C.H. SURREY (1967 Edn) VOL. III pp.372-3.

Listing NGR: SU9982150725

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Surrey - Date: 1971 - Page References: 272-273
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Malden, H E - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III - Date: 1911 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 372-373

National Grid Reference: SU 99821 50725

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2014 at 02:51:07.