List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1293906

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE, BANBURY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityChipping Warden and Edgcote

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234358

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHIPPING WARDEN BANBURY ROAD SP44NE (South side) 4/87 The Manor House 04/02/69

- II*

Manor House. C16, remodelled C17,( date 1668 on rainwater head) and c.1927. Coursed squared ironstone, with coursed ironstone and limestone rubble, tile roof, stone stacks. L-plan. Main house of double-depth plan has C16 section to north, C17 additions to south with former service wing projecting to north east. South front, 2 storeys and attic, 6 bays. 2-storey porch in third bay from right has doorway framed by Tuscan pilasters and straight moulded entablature. C17/C18 eight-panel double doors with rectangular overlight. Rainwater head with date 1668 to left of porch. All windows have 2 lights with plain stone frames, original wood mullions and transoms and leaded panes: Straight moulded parapet. 3 hipped dormers with wood casements. Coped gables with kneelers and finials. Lower wing set back to right, one bay, 2 storeys, has C20 two-light stone mullioned window on ground floor and C17 two-light window with wood mullion and transom on first floor. West side, 2 bays, has C19 two-storey canted bay window in each bay. North front, said to be original entrance: 2 storeys and attic, 4 irregular bays with 2 gables to right. Doorway in second bay from right, has wood lintel, moulded wood frame with stop chamfered jambs and C17 ribbed and studded plank door with date 1659 inscribed on hinge inside the house. Small 2-light window with wood lintel and original wood mullion to right. 6-light window to left with wood lintel and original moulded wood mull ions and transom. Small tower in left bay, 2 storeys has C20 wood casement window on both floors and straight parapet. 4-light window with wood lintel and original wood mullions and transom in second bay from left of first floor. 3-light window with original wood mullions and transom and wood lintel above entrance. 2 small C20 mezzanine windows in right bay between first floor and attic. C20 attic windows in right bay and second bay from right. Main entrance formed on east side of house c.1927. Service wing to left of north front, 2 storeys, 4 bays, said to have had arch to stable yard in centre, now blocked and filled by C20 stone-mullioned window. 4-light stone mullioned windows on either side. 2- and 3-light windows on first floor with plain stone lintels, wood mullions and old iron casements. Interior: Rooms on south side have decorative plasterwork and joinery of c.1670-80, including the Drawing Room with wood panelled walls, and fireplace framed by plain pilasters, frieze with blank rectangular tablet and panelled overmantel. Study has panelled walls, carved wooden fireplace with frieze of bay leaves and overmantel with large oval wreath of fruit and flowers. Motif repeated in plasterwork on ceiling divided into four by cross-beams with oval wreath in each section. Beams decorated with anthemion and palmette patterns. Small Drawing Room has re-used C16-Cl7 panelling and carved wooden overmantel of c.1680 with broken pediment. Former gallery on first floor, originally 5 bays, now partitioned as 2 bedrooms. Main bedroom has carved wooden fireplace with overmantel framed by pilasters with pendants of fruit. Ceiling has cross beams decorated with anthemion pattern and rosettes and frieze of drapery swags and fruit. Adjoining bedroom has similar frieze and ceiling in adjoining room and carved wooden fireplace framed by volutes and swags of fruit, frieze of laurel leaves and altered overmantel with pilasters. Panelled walls with beaded mouldings. Small bedroom has re-used early C17 panelling and overmantel with C17 painting on canvas of horsemen in landscape. Early C17 dog-leg staircase has flat balusters carved on each side with medallions, wide moulded handrail and panelled newel posts with lantern-shaped finials. Secondary staircase, c.l670 has turned balusters and newels with ball finials. Manor purchased in 1619 from Griffin family by Sir Richard Saltonstall. His grandson also Richard (died 1688) probably made the C17 additions to the house. In the early C18 it passed by marriage to Francis North first Earl of Guildford. (G. Baker, Northamptonshire, 1822-30, Vol.I, p.526-7).

Listing NGR: SP4995748779

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Baker, G T - Title: Northamptonshire 1822-41 - Volume: 1 - Page References: 526-7

National Grid Reference: SP 49957 48779

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 08:32:55.