List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1293734

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireSouth NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityMoreton Pinkney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 234164

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MORETON PINKNEY MAIN ROAD SP5749 (South side) 9/135 Church of St. Mary 04/02/69

GV II*

Church. Late C12 and C13, with late Perpendicular and C19 alterations. In 1846 chancel, and south arcade rebuilt in original form re-using some old work. Squared coursed ironstone, lead and tile roofs. Chancel, aisled nave and clerestory. North and south porches, and west-tower. Priest's doorway on north side chancel has C13 work re-used. C13 east window in south aisle with C19 tracery. Late Perpendicular window east of south porch with 2 arched uncusped lights and square head. C16/C17 Late Perpendicular south porch. Inner doorway C13. Window left of south porch C19. Trefoil headed lancet in west wall. C12 tower of 3 stages has plain lancet in ground stage to west, bell openings of one cusped light, that to north flanked by blind cusped arches. North aisle has plain lancet to west. 2-light Late Perpendicular window west of porch with 2 uncusped lights and square hood. C14 north porch has date plaque 1649/HH/IK probably recording a restoration. Inner doorway late C12, has chamfered round headed arch and plain jambs. 3-light square headed Perpendicular window (probably rebuilt) to east of porch. C14 three-light window with Geometrical tracery to east. Perpendicular clerestory. Interior: C13 double piscina recess in chancel has central shaft with bell capital, side shafts with stiff leaf capitals and deeply moulded trefoil arch. Triple lancets in east wall have jamb shafts with recessed C18 stiff leaf capitals. Late C12 north aisle, 3 bays, with pointed unchamfered arches, round piers and square abaci. 3-bay south arcade, rebuilt C19 using C13 work, has single chamfered arches, round piers and octagonal abaci. C13 piscina in south aisle has trefoiled niche with crocketed hood. Roofs C19. Details of church restoration in 1846 described by Sir Henry Dryden in an address to the Northamptonshire Archeological Society, 1879. Quoted in typescript guide to church. The C18 naturalist, Gilbert White was vicar of Moreton Pinkney and curate of Selbourne, in Hampshire, where he lived. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.307; Typescript Guide to Moreton Pinkney Church).

Listing NGR: SP5740249052

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 307

National Grid Reference: SP 57402 49052

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 10:18:10.