List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1293700

Location

MANOR FARMHOUSE, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireWellingboroughDistrict AuthorityHardwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 13-May-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233462

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARDWICK MAIN STREET SP86NE (South side) 4/180 Manor Farmhouse 28/05/54 (Formerly listed as The Manor House)

GV II*

Manor house. C14, C16, datestones 1775 and 1887 refer to restorations. Regular coursed limestone and limestone ashlar with slate roofs. Originally hall house with cross wing. 2 storeys with attic. Entrance front has gabled cross wing to left with Cl6 three-storey semi-circular bay window. First floor window is of 10 lights with stone mullions and transoms, other floors are 3- and 4-light stone-mullioned windows. Entrance to right of window has C19 plank door under shallow stone arch. One-window range to right is single storey with catslide roof. C19 canted wooden bay window with sashes with glazing bars. C20 door and wood surround to right. C18 two-storey wing attached to far right is rendered and has one sash window with glazing bars. Cross wing has ashlar gable parapets, ashlar stack at ridge and stone stack at end. Datestones above ground floor window to left. Elevation to left of cross wing has central C16 three-storey semi-circular bay window similar to the entrance front, with blank ground floor, 12-light first floor window and 5-light attic window. C14 corner buttresses, probably altered C16. Rear elevation has gabled cross wing to right with 2-and 3-stage buttresses to left and centre. Large blocked window at first floor has ashlar surround and square head. 2-light C14 window in gable. Two C20 windows at ground floor. 2-storey range to left was originally the hall and has 8-light casement with transom at ground floor and sash window in eaves dormers above. Ashlar gable parapets. Interior: hall is now subdivided and has open fireplace with bressumer. Early C19 staircase off the hall has stick balustrade. Large first floor room in cross wing was probably the solar and has C16 wooden fireplace surround with overmantle and arms of Nicholls family. Room below was probably the domestic offices. Roof structure of hall said to be original. Owned by Seymour and Nicholl families C14 to C16. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.246; Squires Homes and Other Old Buildings of Northamptonshire: J.A. Gotch, p.29).

Listing NGR: SP8510869753

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Gotch, J A , Squires Homes and Other Old Buildings of Northamptonshire, (1939), 29
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 246

National Grid Reference: SP 85108 69753

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:05:21.