List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1293623

Location

PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH ROAD E10

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityWaltham ForestLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Feb-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 206861

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 38 NE CHURCH ROAD Leyton E10 (north side) 2/38 Parish Church of St Mary the 27.5.54 Virgin (Formerly listed as Church of St Mary)

GV II*

Parish church. Mainly rebuilt C19 with further alterations 1932; tower and probably part of north aisle wall understood to date from 1658. West end of chancel 1693; south aisle and vestry 1822, to design of John Shaw; bapistry 1884; east end altered and enlarged 1932. Brick tower and aisles; stucco clerestory; pantiled pitched roof. Mainly Gothic revival manner. 4 bay aisled nave, 2 storey south porch, lower chancel. Square western tower of 3 stages with corner butt- resses and domed C18 clock turret. Cuspless geometrical tracery to aisle windows; clerestory with square-headed mullioned windows, each with 3 arched lights. Arcade with octagonal piers and round-headed arches, and pointed chancel-arch understood to date from 1932. Roof trusses mainly encased. Some Victorian stained glass. Various monuments mainly C17 and C18, including elaborate monuments to the Hicks family beneath the tower and monuments to William Bosanquet (1813) by John Flaxman, on west wall of north aisle, etc. NPevsner ESSEX. RCHM, VCH.

Listing NGR: TQ3768186857

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: An Inventory of Essex Central and South West - Date: 1921 - Volume: 2
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Essex - Date: 1903
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Essex - Date: 1954

National Grid Reference: TQ 37681 86857

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 05:16:43.