List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BULWICK HALL AND ATTACHED ENTRANCE LOGGIA AND GARDEN ROOM

List entry Number: 1293383

Location

BULWICK HALL AND ATTACHED ENTRANCE LOGGIA AND GARDEN ROOM

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireEast NorthamptonshireDistrict AuthorityBulwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Mar-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 232863

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BULWICK BULWICK PARK SP99SE 6/3 Bulwick Hall and attached 23/05/67 entrance loggia and garden room (Formerly listed as Bulwick Hall. Loggia at Bulwick Hall)

GV II*

Country house. Datestone 1676 refers to rebuilding of earlier house for James Tryon, remodelled about 1730 for Charles Tryon, enlarged 1805, by W.D. Legg of Stamford, for Thomas Tryon and service range rebuilt 1838; some service buildings removed mid C20. Limestone ashlar and rendered limestone with Collyweston and Welsh slate roofs. Double depth plan forming an L-shape with the attached loggia. 2 storeys with attic. Main front is a 12-window range of sash windows, with glazing bars, and moulded stone architraves. Opening to first floor, far right, has a glazed door gaving access to the roof of the entrance loggia. Doorway in fourth bay from left has Gibbs surround. 6-panel door and rectangular fanlight with diagonal glazing bars. Similar door to far right has moulded stone surround and gives access from the entrance loggia. Plain plinth and raised band between floors. 4 roof dormers with sash windows. Hipped roof with ashlar stacks rising from centre valley. This elevation was remodelled about 1730, the eight windows to the right retain evidence of transoms outside the C18 archtrave. Tryon arms above door to right. Bay attached to far left of main front is c.1805. Shallow bow front with 3 curved sash windows with glazing bars. Sunk panels below cills. Hipped roof behind cornice, with low parapet. Entrance loggia, attached at right angles to far right, is of 7 bays of segmental arches with keyblocks and rusticated surrounds. Each pier has a moulded plinth. Moulded cornice has open balustrade, above, with turned balusters. Rear wall of loggia has central arch-head entrance doorway flanked by small arch-head doorways and arch-head niches. Datestone 1676 on centre keyblock. Garden room attached to right of loggia is probably of 1730 remodelling. Single-storey, 2-window range of sash windows with moulded cornices similar to main house, Roof not visible behind plain parapet. Elevation to right has French doors with moulded stone architraves. Entrance front of loggia has centre 3 bays breaking forward all in horizontally chanelled ashlar. Central carriage arch with segmental head and doors with bolection moulded panels. Flanking Tuscan pilasters and blocked windows with moulded architraves and cornices. To the south of the carriage arch is a small spy hole. Balustrade similar to other elevation. Walls flanking centre 3 bays are rendered. Moulded keyblock above carriage arch has datestone 1676. End elevation of main front of hall, to right, is a 2-window range of 2-light stone mullion windows with transoms. The bay to the left is c.1676 and the bay to the right is C19. Rear elevation has wings breaking forward to left of centre and to far right. C19 two- and three-light stone mullion windows some with transoms. The gable to the far right is rendered and was truncated mid C20. Interior: entrance hall to far right of main front has a plaster ribbed ceiling probably of 1838. The Dining Room, to the left, has a reset grey marble fire surround with wooden outer surround enriched with leaf decoration. The Library, to the left of the Dining Room, has an orange marble fireplace with fluted pilasters. A secret dour gives access to the Dining Room. The Staircase Hall, to the left of the Library, has an early CIA staircase with stick balustrade and scroll brackets rising around an open well, Plaster ceiling, probably of 1809 by John Tillson of Stamford, has a foliage centre set in an octagon enriched with a Greek fret. The Ante-Room, to the left of +he Staircase Hall, has an early cjq marble fireplace with reeded eiJrroiJndo Flanking arch head recesses. Drawing Room, to far left, is1,1805-6 by Lagqe, (Halls painted with late c20 rural+ A cellar doorway, behind the Staircase Hall, has a chamfered surround and may be c16j there is also said to be a 2-light stone mullion window in the cellar and a similar reset window with arch-head lights in the service range, SURE first floor rooms said to have early iS fireplaces and attic roan said to have sole reset 018 panelling. Garden room has reset rib fireplace with pairs of decorated columns and central crest. Panelled walls, There are 2 small rooms, llankino the main carriage arch, which were used as entrance lodges. Moses Tryon bought Bulwick Manor in 1617. He also owned Harringworth Manor which was then the principal residence of the Tryons. Bulwick Hall became their principal residence in the early/mid C18 and passed by marriage to the Conant family, (Buildings of England:Northamptonshire: p130: RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p25)

Listing NGR: SP9588794050

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire - Date: 1984 - Page References: 25
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1973 - Page References: 130

National Grid Reference: SP 95887 94050

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 01:32:10.