List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND BOUNDARY WALL

List entry Number: 1293238

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES AND BOUNDARY WALL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of Kingston upon HullUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Jan-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 387496

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINGSTON UPON HULL

TA1132NE CHURCH STREET, Sutton 680-1/12/451 (North side) 13/10/52 Church of St James and boundary wall (Formerly Listed as: KINGSTON UPON THAMES CHURCH STREET, Sutton Church of St James)

I

Parish church. Nave and south aisle c1347, west tower and aisle west bays c1400; roofs, chancel arch, east window and arcades renewed, and vestry added 1866 during restoration by RG Smith, Borough Engineer. Organ chamber 1883 by Smith & Brodrick of Hull, reusing 2 chancel windows. Tower restored, parapet and pinnacles renewed 1886. Brick and coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Chancel with vestry and organ chamber, nave with aisles, west tower. Buttressed chancel, 4 bays, has plinth, chamfered eaves and coped gable. east end has a C19 four-light Decorated lancet with hoodmould and stepped sill band. South side has to east 3 flat-headed triple lancets with Decorated tracery and to west a smaller untraceried double lancet with flat head. North side has to east a blocked shouldered doorway. Buttressed lean-to vestry has coped gable and to north a partly blocked double lancet with hoodmould. Adjoining organ chamber of similar design has a side wall brick stack. To east, a Decorated triple lancet and to west, a plain double lancet, both with flat heads. Windowless nave has coped east gable, and crenellated brick parapet to south. South aisle, 4 bays, has plinth, gabled buttresses, string course, and similar crenellated parapet. Off-centre moulded doorway with hoodmould, flanked to left by a plain triple lancet and to right by 2 larger triple lancets with ogee headed lights. All have flat-headed surrounds, the 2 to east with label moulds. Lower west bay has angle buttress, plain parapet and coped gable. To south, a plain triple lancet with flat head and label mould. To west, an untraceried Perpendicular double lancet with label mould. North aisle has plain lean-to roof and ungabled buttresses. Similar fenestration with larger restored doorway and hoodmould. Higher west bay has angle buttress and coped brick parapet. West end has an untraceried Perpendicular double lancet with label mould. Embraced west tower, 2 stages, has moulded plinth, angle buttresses, quoins, string courses and crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles. Moulded deeply recessed west door with hoodmould, and above it, a 5-light lancet with panel tracery and hoodmould. At the head of the lower stage, a small loop. To south, a clock. Bell stage has on each side a double lancet louvred bell opening with chamfered reveal. Outside, to south, low brick boundary wall with stone coping and renewed railing. Off-centre square gatepiers with stone caps. Approx 70m long. INTERIOR; chancel has double chamfered arch with half-octagonal piers, and strutted arch-braced roof on corbels. East end has stained-glass window, 1873, with sill band, and Decorated style stone reredos with crocketed central gable. North side has organ chamber opening flanked by pilasters with stiff-leaf capitals. To east, C19 shouldered chamfered doorway flanked by single flat-headed triple lancets. To east again, a chamfered C14 aumbry with hoodmould. South side has a C19 cusped double sedilia, and to west 3 windows with late C19 stained glass. Nave has 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers and capitals and double chamfered arches. Scissor trussed arch-braced roof with wall shafts on corbels. West end has double cove moulded tower arch large diagonally set canted piers with Perpendicular style blind arcading. Flanking arches to the aisles are of similar design. East arch has reset C15 wooden screen. Aisles have arch-braced lean-to roofs and double chamfered arches into the west bays. South aisle has to east a cusped piscina and a reset and restored shaft piscina. East and southeast windows have stained glass, mid and late C19. North aisle has to east a gabled aumbry and a stained-glass east window, 1865. North-east windows have stained glass, late C19 and 1906, by Kempe. Fittings include C13 tub font with nailhead band on renewed octagonal stem. C19 traceried octagonal ashlar pulpit with ogee canopies and alabaster shafts. Brass eagle lectern, 1888. Memorials include chest tomb c1349, with shields in quatrefoil panels and armoured effigy with shield, to Sir John de Sutton. Marble and slate tablet with coat of arms, 1830, and similar tablet with portrait medallion, 1834. Various marble and slate tablets, late C18 and early C19. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York & the East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 280; Church Guide).

Listing NGR: TA1181032950

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972)

National Grid Reference: TA 11812 32934, TA 11812 32949

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 10:31:39.