List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1293038

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, UPPER VILLIERS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of WolverhamptonMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 31-Mar-1992

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 378611

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WOLVERHAMPTON

SO99NW UPPER VILLIERS STREET 895-1/5/39 (East side) Church of St Luke

GV II*

Church. 1860-1. By G.T. Robinson of Leamington. Red brick with buff brick, blue brick and ashlar dressings; slate roofs. Apsed chancel with north chapel and vestry, and south organ loft; aisled nave with narthex and south west steeple. Roguish Gothic Revival style. Chancel has brick and ashlar banding; gabled buttresses to angles; pointed windows have decorative brick hoods and ashlar lintel bands, coped gables over. Organ loft is gabled with stepped triplet of lancets on slender iron colonnettes and angle buttresses; chapel similar, with gabled vestry to east, 2-light window and spherical diamond window. Nave has coped gables with crosses; 3 gabled spherical triangle clerestory windows to each side; 6-bay aisles have cornices and paired lancets on stone colonnettes between buttresses. West lean-to narthex has arcading on iron columns paired in depth; gabled entrance with iron shafts, relief of Journey to Emmaus to tympanum; 2 west windows of 2 lights with roundel above, flying buttress to left. 4-stage tower has brick and ashlar banding; angle buttresses and round south east turret with conical roof; south entrance with gablet on iron columns, relief of St Luke over trumeau; paired lancets to west, and to 2nd stage; 3rd stage has triple bell openings over corbelled frieze; cornice; weathered base to octagonal top stage; lancets with inserted clock faces and top frieze; slate spire with narrow lucarnes. INTERIOR: panelled chancel scissor-truss roof; 3-bay arcades on iron columns with rich traceried parclose screens, now glazed; nave has 6-bay arcades on iron columns paired longitudinally with trumpet capitals, polychrome arches; deep arch-braced scissor truss roof; tripartite chancel arch and paired arches to chapel and organ loft; braced ties to aisle roofs on carved corbels. Altar has rich arcading, reredos has high relief of Last Supper; good stalls; pulpit on 3 shafts has evangelists in niches; war memorial reredos to chapel; octagonal font on one large and 4 small shafts; good C19 glass to chancel; chapel has glass dated 1913. A good design making use of polychrome and much use of cast-iron, with some remarkable roguish detail. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.322).

Listing NGR: SO9132197172

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 322

National Grid Reference: SO 91321 97172

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 08:18:04.